Life of printed objects

Hi,

I’ve read in some places that objects made with resin have limited lifespan due to sun or light exposure. I’d like testimonies from users of the Form1+ since it’s the one I’m aiming to buy. I want to create objects that I would sell, so if a customer comes and tell me that his new shiny object has melted while at his window, it would kill my business…

I’m also concerned about resins toxicity. Let’s say I want to make children toys, will it be safe by any means ? If not, can at least someone manipulate a resin made object and say lick his fingers afterward ?

Thanks for taking time to shine some light for me on this matter.

The MSDS sheets are available at the bottom of this page:
http://formlabs.com/products/materials/standard/

There is nothing official about the cured resin:

You can coat the parts with a UV resistant (clear) coat to prevent the parts from becoming brittle from sun exposure. But at the end of the day this is not injection molded ABS. You will need to be clearer with exactly what sort of parts you have in mind, and what you expect them to be able to survive.

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know what an MSDS was (I’m serious).

I’d like to know if the resin is suitable for objects to use in an household, in family, on a shelf or at a window, so all in all as any object that can be sold to consumers for their house (objects of art, for the kitchen, useful objects like a book holder etc…).

I’m also planning on serving architects, designers etc… in their prototyping process. So if an architect puts his model in a sunlit room, I don’t want it to become sticky or melt or anything. Nor be toxic to handle.

The resin will not melt or anything like that. UV cures the resin. Sitting in sunlight long term can may the parts more brittle.
This will absolutely be great for the prototyping process, not so much for kids toys.

Don’t forget that you can cast post process silicone molds pretty easily for most parts. Then use a resin of your choice from a company like smooth-on for durability or non-toxicity. It is an extra step, but it is not a hard one.

I think the silicone molding idea is probably your best bet for getting the ruggedness household objects require.

Sorry, as english is not my first language I don’t quite understand this sentence (and also because I’m not familiar with this process). What’s this process about, do you have some link that show how it’s done ? I have a hard time with those “cast” and “mold” things… It seems interesting though.

Also where can I find those resins you talk about ?

So long for kids toys, but why would it not be suitable though ?

It is just a fancy way of saying that you can make a silicone mold from the part you just finished 3D printing with the Form 1+.

You can make toys with this method.

Here is a link to a video of an example toy making process. It should give you a good idea of the process. If you need further instruction, there are many videos you can find with a simple search on youtube that will tell you how to mold just about anything. I hope this helps!

Here is a simple method shown from start to finish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jDaZX6PCk

Here is a bit more in-depth method and great detail explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRj6xzNx7P4

Thanks ShaneMans ! I think I understand now what this process is all about. But what material do they use to put in the mold ? What would be the difference with the resin from the 3D printer ? If there are many materials I could use, where can I find them ?

I’m sorry for all those questions, but although this process is very interesting I have no idea where to start to find all those informations. Those youtube videos give insight into the creation process, but there’s no hint as to where to find precise documentation.

The resin in the 3D printer is UV cured and a single solution. The casting resins on the other hand are two part. Generally you mix 1 to 1 parts A & B. This casting resin can be colored before mixing and even have fillers such as micro glass beads or pecan shell dust. Even though the two are called resin they are far apart on the chemicals used.

This is what I use my Form 1+ for, miniature parts for model building. The 3D parts are strictly masters for making molds although I might sell some of the more complicated pieces that would be almost impossibly to mold.

• Walt

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.