Jewelry Prints 1

There’s a book by Rosetti on designing jewellery with Rhino - mostly focused on v4, but applicable to v5. It can be a long-winded way to do it, but there’s nothing RG or Matrix do that can’t be done with “naked” Rhino - it just takes longer.

http://www.editoraleon.com/design-jewelry-3d/designing-jewelry-with-rhinoceros-and-rhinogold.html
(can be a bit slow to arrive, the joy of international shipping at times)

I don’t know that TDM are planning to port RG to Mac, haven’t heard anything about it.

Much as I hate doing this (seems bad form) - there is a forum dedicated to 3D CAD for jewelry (well, they spell it different to me) - http://3dcadjewelry.com/ Not machine specific, but there’s a lot of Rhino users who can answer questions better than I can.

2 Likes

Download the Rhino evaluation version for MAC, it has a 90 day full version you can use to play with. As for rhino gold… not to sure about mac version… Rhino gold is very convenient if you are new, but i think it is unstable with some applications and In my opinion not necessary but nice for things like stones and ring sizes
:smiley:

1 Like

Rhino gold is very convenient if you are new, but i think it is unstable with some applications and In my opinion not necessary but nice for things like stones and ring sizes

Unstable with Rhino in particular, unfortunately.
There are CAD models of stones around that are useful; wouldn’t be too tricky to do a ring size generator in Grasshopper (scripting package as part of Rhino).

1 Like

They modified the settings in matrix. So as to produce a more realistic image.

Gem vision is ‘in my opinion’ the best program. It is very user friendly and provides everything you need specific for jewelry.
So no need to fool around with plug-ins or other add-ons.

=)

Zbrush is a very nice organic program. The UI is a little harder to learn but much more flexible then Matrix

Hi Niels, my suggestion is to put the the model flat and make sure every tiny ball has a support underneath. I’ve been done it many times and no need to use laser welder to repair the models. If you find it’s hard to remove the model, increase the height of base to 6mm or higher, I’d rather use more resin than having a failed model after few hours waiting :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! I just want to drop in and say hello, and let you know that I’m here to help! It’s great to see so many of you beginning to work with our printers, resin, and software.

In terms of creating supports, I’ve found that many designers have the greatest printing success with custom designing them in their native software. Gemvision and TDM have come a long way in understanding how jewelry and 3D printing get along.

Please continue to update us on your printing successes or issues, any challenges you might encounter with supports, and the outcome of your casting. Pictures are always a plus, if you’re willing to share!

Hi,

I am just getting into jewelry design. What is your opinion on Jewelry CAD Dream? I just signed up to 2 months of that to start learning. I have been using Zbrush since it was in version 1.0 in the early 2000’s. I am hoping to leverage those skills into Jewelry. I have had great success printing with my Form 2 and Zbrush so far.

Thanks,
Carl

Neils,

How long did it take you to print out the signet ring?

How well did your items cast using the castable resin?

Thanks,
Ron

Has anyone tried Blender and Jewelcraft? I’ve been using it along with Formlabs 2 for all my work in www.ugnele.com and I like it. For me it way better than Gemvision Matrix 9, which costs a fortune…