Has anyone used the tough resin yet?

Hi Folks,
So back in October I mentioned I will be designing a custom platform to replace the many mods I have applied in my quest to print reliably and accurately with all resins.

I have fabricated my first Form1/Form1+ build platform prototype. My plan was to engineer a build platform allowing for plug-and-use without all the maintenance required in the pursuit of reliable happy printing.

The first models printed on the maiden voyage were simply gorgeous. I was very happy to have nailed-it with the first prototype. During the design phase I decided to also tackle the many annoyances I’ve experienced since my Kickstarter Form1 arrived in August 2013.

1. First up, cleaning the entire build platform with IPA… I can now plop the entire build platform into a vat of IPA without worry of distorting or damaging the this custom build platform. Build platform is milled from 6061 T6 aluminum.

2. Load up the resin tank for larger print jobs, have not measured how much I can preload the resin tray yet, but easily 300+ milliliters.

3. No more headaches with resins or IPA leaking into the hollow within the standard build platform. There is no hollow, gasket or plastic to worry about on this custom build platform. All aluminum build platform.

4. A precision fit onto the mounting adapter on the z tower. No more fidgeting to test for a sloppy platform to z-tower mount connection.

5. Precise hardware height adjustments within the build platform at .100mm and .050mm increments to 1mm and beyond. Tilt the platform in any direction if that’s what I need. Greater z-offset configuration using hardware on this custom platform and/or the Preform software.

6. Design, print and attach any type of handle which fits within the cover of the Form1/Form1+. Or, I can attach the standard Form1/Form1+ handle to this custom build platform.

7. Platform is tilt-able to increase resin run-off from printed models and the build face into the resin tray.

8. This **custom build platform is flat within .0004" (.010mm ) across the entire build face, and parallel to the z-axis platform mount.

Hmmm …there must be more, I’ll have to come back when they come to mind.

Thanks again @Seagull , for all the in-depth experiments and documentation which confirmed my suspicions, your early work really pushed me to halt the many modifications I had already implemented in a stock build platform, and proceed with fabricating this custom build platform prototype…kudos!

I’m now in the process of cleaning-up the prototype. It is currently at the stage of being usable with the above features, and my next task is to fine-tune the ease-of-use. If there is enough interest in this custom build platform I will expedite the prototype clean-up. At this time, this custom build platform has eliminated all the uncertainty attached when using a standard build platform. Finally, I’m able to print with confidence and no longer have to monitor the print process with one finger hovering over the cancel button.

cheers and good journeys,
Brent