Finishing - removing resin?

Hello guys,
I am quite new Form 1+ user and after my long story (I ordered my printer at may) I am ready to conquer the world! After few prints I noticed one very annoying thing causing me problems. How the f*** I can remove liquid resin from already printed models without using an alcohol?! Why I do not want to use %? Beucase I am going to print models mostly with 25 microns layering because of surface quality. I just do not want to lose sharp edges on my models.

Have You got any experience with cleaning your models? For example I tried work with hot water and It worked quite good. Also, I am going to cook some models in the pot :smiley: :wink:

Cheers,
Arco

Hey Arco — glad to hear you’re printing. The IPA doesn’t dissolve the model itself, it only removes uncured (liquid) resin. Cured resin does not dissolve in alcohol. Whether you use water, or any other solution to remove uncured resin, the resultant model should be the same. I’m not aware that anyone has worked with a solution that dissolves the cured polymer!

Additionally, depending on the models you’re planning on printing, you’re also probably not going to see sharper edges in 25 microns (as opposed to 50 or 100). What you will see is finer detail, in a textured surface, for example. This article has some additional thoughts as well.

1 Like

Hello Sam,
thank You for Your answer. This morning I realized that my models after whole night of bath weren’t dissolved as much as I expected (its good) but… One of them became really flexible and leaky. Also my models after longer bath are quite sticky - I though it’s because of their dissolved surface (?).

I am living in Poland, maybe our IPA has more powah than You all think :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers,
Arco

Ps> I’m really proud from today’s prints <3 Clear resin is much better to me than black :o

1 Like

Only leave the parts in the bath for around 10 minutes per bath. The stickiness will go away if you leave the parts in the sun for a few hours or post cure them with some kind of UV cabinet. Leaving them in the bath overnight will cause them to absorb the IPA and become rubbery and useless. Just soak them in each bath and then dry them off with a paper towel before setting them out to fully cure and dry. Read the how to on the support pages of the main website and it will walk you through that process.

1 Like

As Adam is saying, around 10 to 15 minutes on each rinsing bath is enough and then leave it on the sun or a UV chamber.

Also… don’t rinse your models with water… you’re in the end releasing resin into the water flow and polluting it. You might drink it next :wink:

Also… find a proper way to dispose of the used IPA according to local regulations. It is dangerous industrial waste and should not be disposed “somewhere”.

Cheers!

1 Like