Envisiontec... Are they for Real?

The big difference is that DLP can get corners much closer to a sharp corner than a laser. The corners of a Formlabs print are going to be softer, but you’re not going to see any stepping, which is more important for me. They could make the laser spot smaller, but that would increase print time. I think in the future we could have a printer with multiple lasers.

1 Like

I don’t know if any 1080 class DLP projectors are using wobulation because for any projector worth its salt is using a DMD native at 1920x1080 resolution.

Some of the low-cost 4K projectors use wobulation to simulate 4K, but it is really like an interlaced equivalent.

A long time ago, I had a 480p projector that if you went up to the screen, you can easily see the gaps between pixels (this was a DLP BTW). If I slightly defocused the lens, that screen door effect disappeared.

So for any projector (LCD or DLP) that has a optical lens, you can get rid of the effect by defocusing the lens. It will hurt crispness, but that might be an okay compromise depending on what you are printing.

I don’t think the small gaps between pixels are much of an issue, the light will bounce around a bit where it hits the resin so that will fill in the gaps. The issue with DLP is that the pixels are block shaped and you can see that stepping very easily.