Dental model vs Grey Pro in durability

So, after abandoning the use of Tough resin because I needed something time-stable that wouldn’t warp during printing, but still stand a fair amount of handling, I switched to Grey Pro and have been using that for a few months. However, I’m still almost always afraid that any slight bump might shatter it unexpectedly. It seems that sometimes Grey is near indestructible (thicknesses more than 4mm are very hard to break) and other times it feels like it’ll snap when you breathe too hard on it.

I started looking hard at all the data sheets, and found that the Dental Model resin, which I have previously not considered, on paper, seems to be a pretty close ‘medium’ between Tough and Grey Pro when it comes to durability. (And I would guess that it doesn’t warp much since dental models have to be pretty darn precise.)

Those of you that use it… how would you describe it in ‘real world’ use? Or maybe compare it to Grey Pro, Tough or even the Standard Grey (which actually has a higher impact strength rating than Pro)?

I’m getting a sample part in DM, but even so, before I invest in a test-session I’d love to hear some practical experiences with it.

No idea, but I’m also curious to see. I use the Durable and Pro Grey for miniature doll making (durable for body parts, clothes, and accessories, pro grey for joints) so having a more fleshtone ‘pro grey’ would be great.

I got a few parts in the Dental Model a while back. Completely unsuitable for my needs, which are mainly hard-surface parts (movie prop gadgets, ray guns and so forth) because it seems extremely prone to warping- especially with thin parts. I could see it being useful for prototyping boardgame pieces maybe. (Can’t understand how it can be used for dental work- I’d imagine that such models would demand extremely close tolerances and stability.) Might be good for doll parts though, since you might not need perfect symmetry, and it feels a little ‘skin-like’ with a velvety surface.

Grey Pro is still my go-to even though it eats resin trays like candy.

I’m surprised that you’d use the Durable for the body parts and not the GP. Wouldn’t the added strength of Durable be better for joints?

I like the durable because it has the slight flex needed for things like ball joint cups, and grippy little hands (I haven’t broken a finger yet and they’re absurdly little)

At the scale I’m working in the durable is a liiiiitle too chewy for the joints, but impact resistance is very important for those thin little limbs, so I have to balance those needs. I found that the Durable limbs protect the stable Grey Pro joints in falls. The completed dolls are only about 3" tall, so their structural requirements are definitely unusual.

1 Like