Can the resin used in your printer be used for direct casting for jewellery?

Very cool…Thanks

Very nice photos on the other post…wow

how did they cast ?

I did not get a chance to cast them yet. I will post the results on the other thread once I do.

@ Kevin. I don’t know if you tested the maker juice resin yet, but if you value your vat. Don’t do it. It’s very reactive and leaves marks on the PDMS coating, even after one print. I don’t know how their new resin works. Also I’ve seen some of their casting results and they do not look good enough.

No not yet I dont have a working printer yet…#3 is due in monday…

I am going to test the B9 first and depending how that works might try the G+

I will be testing the b9 cherry next week as soon I receive it. Hopefully it will give me higher detail than the b9 red.

have you cast the red yet.

I have casted the red printed on the b9 creator. For some reason the red was not printing well on the form1, because the pigment was settling. So I mixed it with some of the grey resin. I will be casing those next week.

Thanks for the info I will try letting the pigment settle out before I try to use

Anyone know the competition?
http://www.dwssystems.com/cms/page.php?30
use special types of resins for lost wax

Rio Grande Sells there stuff…resin is 500.00 per 1/2 L… look like a clone of the form but they are using the same laser so it should work just have not try yet

Tried to cast some clear resin, marginal results

Pavol and Kevin,

We already tried that resin. It doesn’t work. I don’t think they use the same laser.

https://support.formlabs.com/entries/28092333-New-hybrid-resin-mix

what did you get ?

I have been burning out uv polymers for five years using a mask forming technique to generate the models.  There has been years of troubles trying to burn out the various materials, urethane, epoxy and crylates.   The simple fact is if it is clear can be burned out without ash formation or the use of special investment.  If I ever get my printer I will prove this to the formlabs community using their system, techniques are currently regarded as trade secrets.  As for the B9 red the pigment could potentially cause some issues leaving residue in the cavity.  I guess I will be using the B9 before the Form 1 due to the delays on FormLabs team.

I am a candidate for a M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering (2014) , member of NAMII (America Makes) and have successfully earned the Additive Manufacturing Certificate from SME.

Rather that guessing bout the ash content in a mold after a burnout I am running a cycle though the oven now with just a  clear resin part…I should be able to photograph and get a sample I can put under the scope to see if I can ID the problem

Hey guys,

Im conducting a little bit of a survey. After going trough plenty of posts im noticing a pattern here… it seems like the form1 is simply unable to print large models with any amount of consistency…

If you have been able to print large models consistently, say more than 5 without a fail, please let me know here:

https://support.formlabs.com/entries/34042718-Layers-Sticking-to-Tank-Failed-Prints-and-More-?page=1#post_24682383

For the purposes of this discussion, lets define large as a larger than 10cm sans supports on the longest axis… c’mon large, you know what I mean…

Ok guys. I casted many types of materials in my factory in Istanbul. Is there anybody there who can print few pieces by his FORM1 and send me to try it? I will send my own stl files. Few rings and pendants. Thanks

pls contact me: ozgehan@noktamodel.com

MadeSolid is offering a casting material specifically for the Form1 now.  http://madesolid.com/casting-resin.html

Pre-order does not count as “offering”. It says it will ship at the end of April. Its mid May now.

Also, the only picture of a casted part they show, has NOTHING to do with jewelry or any other fine casting detail is not shown.

For $200 for half a liter I will have to wait and see for some actual high quality casting photos or samples before buying.