Air eraser media

I’ve read on here that air erasers can be useful for finishing parts where it is too hard to reach
What media do people use with air erasers?
I have ordered 1, and it comes with Aluminium oxide, but maybe that will be too aggressive. Have heard someone mention baking soda…

1 Like

My curiosity is piqued.

I couldn’t see an issue with using baking soda its not as abrasive as aluminium oxide but will be better for the application as breaks apart on impact with the part surface.
I believe the statue of liberty was refurbished this way so should work fine.

I am going to try this, while most of my prints don’t require a lot of clean up, those that do this will/may help in that process, especially the hard to get areas. Does anybody have experience or ideas on which resins this works best on?

By air eraser… I presume you mean media blaster or sand blaster.

… and yes it is a MUST for final finish, presuming you are not painting.

The beauty of it is that you can file, sand and finish all the rought stuff, and end at 250-400 grit… then just media blast it. 100% perfect, uniform finish… EVERYWHERE!. All the sanding marks are gone.

Fine 400-600 alimunim oxide is fine (but not coarser). If you think it is too agressive, then go to a glass bead (the geometry of the grains is round and smooth, instead of sharp.

… but the take-away is BUY A MEDIA BLASTER! :wink:

1 Like

By saying not painting… I only meantthat if you are, you don’t NEED that level of finish.

But if you are, it’s still a better finish than manual sanding… so in the end, i guess, even if you are painting.

We all know painting is easy… preping for painting is hard, and wheere all the quality is.

Common household baking soda is a good grit. Cheap and nontoxic. You already have it in your kitchen.

Resin dust is toxic. So wear appropriate protection.

Here’s one inexpensive model among many (click here).