A solution for remote printing, please

I know this has been asked many many time. However, I think there could be a much simpler solution here. Just make a linux client or something for a raspberry pi so that we can send the file to the printer via a raspberry pi or something similar connected to it. You know something like octoprint for FDM printer.
This will bring no hardware change to the printer, some little software and lots of happy people here!

2 Likes

This would be the perfect solution!
We don’t need no fancy graphics… just a simple tool that sends the data to the printer!

I posted this in another thread, but USB Network Gate from Eltima software works fine, even across platforms. I print remotely using PreForm on a Mac to a Windows box connected to the printer in another room. Firmware updates do not work remotely though.

1 Like

My personal feeling is that the correct solution is to extend the Form1 itself to include WiFi and SD card interfaces. The next FormX should be a bit smarter than the current implementation, probably running an embedded linux system.

Ideally, multiple people can ‘print’ to the device at the same time by accessing a web page on the printer and simply uploading a .form file. This would enqueue the prints on internal storage. Much can be gleaned through this web page, similar to a higher end HP Printer’s web interface, such as resin type and level, position of a job in queue, estimated print completion time, etc., etc. A physical presence would be required obviously to cycle to the next print, but for a shop that allowed many engineers to print, and then have lab techs to remove, clean and cycle to the next print, it would be very useful. Preform could discover and identify the printers it can see and make intelligent recomendations/selections of the optimal printer to use based on requiremnents, like resin color, time to completion, etc. Each printer could know about others as well, so it could suggest (via it’s web interface) to a user another printer to upload to if the color was not correct on this printer.

Lots of cool things could be done…

1 Like

Yes that would be ideal. However, formulas could do a simple linux client for a raspberry Pi or similar and give it away for free (or selling even a PiBox with it on it) making lots of people happy with minimal effort without resorting to home-brew solutions or overly expensive software as mentioned above.
Then they can later make formX and formX business.
btw i would love to hear what formX could be … i am loving this machine and i use it really heavily.

1 Like

-OR-
They can simply publish the format specification for the data they send to the printer so others can help them expand their ecosystem at zero cost to them.

2 Likes

All great ideas.
And @Formlabs seems to have a solution to connect 12 printers without using 12 Computers.
At least I don’t see 12 Computers in the video of the pop up factory

I’d really know what kind of software and hardware they use to make that possible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.