Laser Flare & the effects on your prints - Part II

Hi @Charles_Rogers. Yes I agree, the support placement isn’t ideal. I purposely arranged the supports this way to test my theory that clusters of supports creates localized clumps of part cured resin due to the laser flare i have. It was great to read that you managed to print your part successfully. :smiley:

Hi @KenCitron. The second test was 90 degrees to the hing and printed successfully, with minimal porosity. The forward facing surface quality was good, but the surface facing towards the rear was poor. I believe the poor rearward faces of my prints are a product of my laser flare orientation. I’m 100% certain that if I were to rotate my laser 90 degrees in its mounts, as @KevinHolmes has demonstrated here, the poor surface quality would follow the flare orientation to the side.

@ChristopherBarr, thanks for the detailed advice. I totally agree with everything you’ve suggested. My big problem is that I’m having to compromise with part orientation because of my laser flare. It’s a variable that the majority of Form1+ users don’t need to consider. If this problem was affecting everyone then it wouldn’t be an issue, but judging by some of the awesome results others are having, this isn’t the case.

Formlabs support have been very proactive and I really feel that we have been working together to get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately I can’t see much more I can do my end to resolve what I consider a mechanical issue. I’m unable to use the printer for core business projects so I’m going to ask for it to be returned for a 3rd time.

My worst fear is that its returned with the same laser spot test image…