How well does makerjuice work with form 2?

i see

and what about photocentric?

I have also Form 2, but the PreForm setting give me only posibility to use resin version 2.
Which formlabs cartidge do you use for Photocentric Grey Firm and with what settings?

Just the grey cartridge, no setting adjustments.

Hello today i was print with resin Photocentric gray firm on Form 2. Settings is was grey resin v 2. and the results are here.
The edges are like melted and support have not correct shape see photo.
Resin cost is about 60 Euro, this is half of original Formlabs but results are not matching the price.

Uploading…

well thats not promising

I have printed also with Photocentric Firm with Form 2. I have similar results. Its quite flexible, good for solutions that need flexibility but overall, resolution is far from Formlabs resin prints. Some edges prints out round like “melted”. It forms “bubles” on surface… need some sanding after print. Prints could fail even with very simple shapes… The price tag is temptating, but not worth if this is the result. I tried it as 100% mix in Formlabs cartridge. 50/50 mixture could give better result, I dont know.

I tried the clear hard UV resin, and first of all it is a yellowy honey colour - not clear, and secondly, the laser seems to penetrate too far into the resin, curing thicker areas than it should. I ran it using clear settings. I am not sure if there is a setting that will bring the power down?

I’ve tried various settings and the result was always just as bad.
see
enter link description here

Figures theres no decent cheap alternative.

So I went out and bought a good FDM printer,
When my Form 2 shows up, Ill just use it for very special jobs, gallery pieces etc. This is definitely not a 3d Printer to experiment with, hobby, fun, etc. Well for me anyhow.

I actually estimated printing with PLA/ABS is 1/10 the cost of printing with Formlabs resin.
I cant believe Im still buying a Form 2! It better be good! :slight_smile:

Just to clear up some confusion here. :slight_smile:

We do not offer a clear resin, for any printer. Currently we only offer two resins for the FormLabs Form 1/+:

• SF for Form 1/+ (Black, Green, Grey, Red & Yellow). This resin is softer and more flexible than the FormLabs regular hard resin.
  • WaxCast (Casting resin). This is for people doing direct investment casting.

We have not yet tried our resins in the Form 2 printer.

Hope that helps anyone reading!

Well @MakerJuice as you can see from this and other threads, there seems to be a lot of interest in alternate, high quality resins that are cheaper.

I have myself inquired from Form Labs about volume pricing. Still awaiting their response.

Parts print fantastic in the Form 2, but the cost is unbearable except for detsil prototyping. And it is too bad because in many trades (like mine) it would be great to print short batches instead of injection moulding, which has a steep initial cost. At a fair price for the resin, one can start thinking even about farm printing.

Hoping that Form Labs rethink their pricing, and/or the alternate resin providers can provide an equivalent at a fair price.

1 Like

I’ve used both MakerJuice and MadeSolid resins in my Form1+ with excellent results. For now, “Open Mode” on the Form2 is only partly open, no wiper or heater functionality. But the Form1+ didn’t have these things and these 3rd party resins worked just fine there, so they ought to work just fine for the Form2 as well.

Randy, when you say excellent results, do these results include resolution? I print at 25 micron layer height and when Form Labs make a printer that allows for thinner layers I’ll use that. As I stated earlier I could throw a lot more work to the Form 2 if it could print at MakerJuice cost. That is half the price of Form Labs resin.
@MakerJuice, do you need someone with a Form 2 to beta test your resins?

We don’t have our Form 2 yet. But with our Form 1+ we have been having great success with a 50/50 mix of Makerjuice SF BLack and Formalabs Black.

The Formlabs black is too thick for our printer (this is our second unit, support replaced our first unit.)
Heating it helps, but our prints were barely usable with high failure rates.

The mix is the perfect, and has had a very small failure rate of our prints.

To be fair, our parts are small thin walled square shapes with sharp edges. Not the what the Form 1+ is best at.

Hi Alfredo,
I appreciate the offer, but we’re hoping our unit comes in sometime soon. If that doesn’t happen, we will reach back out to you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a MakerJuice SF print. Approximately 1.2" wide.

1 Like

Hi @Randy_Cohen can you give us your thoughts on it? It appears to print quite well. What about your take on shear, tensile, abrasion resistance, etc. Also, form 1 or 2, and at what settings?

Thanks
-C

1 Like

Well this isn’t really the MakerJuice thread so I won’t go in to much detail. You can see the part printed really cleanly. The cured resin is more flexible than FL Clear (or Black), but it still exhibits a glass like break when overstressed. FL Tough is substantially more flexible than the MJ resin and FL Tough yields to a much greater degree without breaking.

I used whatever MJ recommended as the correct setting for Form1+.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.