Bad prints out of brand New Form 3

Sorry to interrupt the tank discussion; I’ve got some good news. @larsenstephen sent me his ship bridge model and I printed it in Black on my Form 2 and [early 2019] Form 3. I’d say the results look great on both.

Print settings:

Form 2 Form 3
Resin Black V4 Black V4
Layer Height 50 μm 50 μm
Preform 3.4.5 3.4.5
Firmware 1.19.15-220 1.6.2-576
Tank LT V1
Layers 903 918
Estimated Volume 8.07mL 8.44mL
Estimated Time 5h 11m 4h 39m
Actual Time 5h 49m* 5h 13m

*My Form 2 has a slow heater and the time for that machine includes approximately 1 hour heating time before the build platform lowered and its print began.

His original supports were used for the Form 2 print. They were imported (including touchpoint sizes) to generate supports for the Form 3.

Both parts underwent 15 minutes in the Form Wash (since my alcohol is getting a little old), then were hand rinsed with fresh 99% IPA from a squeeze bottle and spot dried with canned air. They sat overnight, then were cured for 40 minutes at 60°C.

The surface details like the piping and junction boxes are crisp on both, and the portholes look round. The window corners are comparably square (maybe just ever so slightly more rounded on the Form 3, but it’s barely discernable).

Front view:

(Added) Front view #2: The Form 3 did a better job between the fire control boxes. Reviewing his photos, I think @larsenstephen’s Form 2 in Grey does a better job than my Form 2 in Black on delineating this particular feature.

Front windows closeup:

Starboard side view:

Port side closeup:

Here’s an identical angle on the Form 3 with a slightly different focus:

I did find one thin strand of bridging on a port side girder on the Form 3, which wasn’t present on the Form 2. It didn’t recur on the starboard side. Click to zoom in:

Top closeup:

Feel free to point out anything I missed in these photos, or ask questions if you want to examine any other features in detail. Sharper eyes than mine may spot other, subtle differences.

3 Likes