3rd party resins and resin mixes

The Spota H&T clouds the resin tank, and in my experience, the print fails after the supports are built. Not to mention, it’s horrbly difficult to remove from the build platform and/or the resin tank.
The Spota-e didn’t pose such problems, but it is quite delicate, so your print may fall apart during printing, or afterwards while you’re treating the print.
I guess I got what I paid for, heh.

Looks like HRL Laboratories developed resin with ceramics properties. It would be cool if it works on Formlabs!

I have just sent them an email. Considering the Form2 is featured heavily, I would hope it is compatible.

dh

1 Like

I tried Spot-A resins last year and had terrible results. I’m having some good results from photocentric firm grey resin (50/50 mix and 70/30 mix with fl grey both worked well). I’d love to try that ceramic resin if it works with the form2.

1 Like

Please let us know the answer.
Thanks

Sacha

Still haven’t heard anything…

hello, “Fun To Do” has a new resin. the F1 + '. This is intended for the “Form 1, 1+ and 2” function. has anyone tested?

Photocentric firm grey gives me good results.

I’ve got hold of some of that funky new ceramic resin - 1 litre is very heavy (I’m guessing all of that ceramic material in suspension). Hopefully do some printing with it next week or the week after.

4 Likes

Hey everybody.
I have bought waxcast of marker juice resin & blue cast resin & I am testing them.
I have some questions and need your help.surely your experiences will help me to get the best results.
I have an empty castable cartridge.I washed inside it with IPA 99% for at least 30 minutes and let it dry. after 1 day I added blue cast in it and print it as a castable resin not with open mode setting.because I believe that the heater and the wiper should work during a print process.
I have done the same with waxcast resin of marker juice(added it into the castable cartridge) and the printer is working now.do you think that it is a logical instruction to get the best result with 3rd party resin or not?

Which Settings did you use? I have the same resin, but nothing stick on the Building platform.

castable v02

Can you refill a FormLabs resin cartridge with 3rd party resin?

Unfortunately not, the rubber dispenser on the bottom in only rated to last for 1-2L at most, so you risk overfilling and resin spills. Also, the resin level detector uses some sort of sensor that is only meant for the FL resins, different 3rd party resins will give inaccurate results on how full the resin tank is, again possibly overfilling and resin spills.

Good Luck!

I see in other posts that people refill cartridges using resin from their form 1. Is that only possible because it is the same exact resin? If you used a cartridge from a resin that has very similar properties to the 3rd party resin is it possible for it to work?

I think you might have better luck with identical resin, but it comes down to the little rubber dispenser and how it might not work properly after 1-2L. So in theory it’s possible, and a lot of people do it, but you risk voiding your warranty if something goes wrong!

It sounds like the community needs to put on it’s collective thinking cap, and design a workaround to that BS.

Maybe a toilet-float-like valve to replace the cheap rubber part that comes in the cartridges. I don’t have a 2, but if I did, I would design a mechanical replacement that I could print print most of, integrating some cheap simple rubber faucet parts for sealing.

So… Get hacking F2 owners!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a fix for this issue and it’s open mode. I haven’t had any issues with printing materials without the heat and wiper. I’ve also refilled cartridges for a few trial parts. I would never leave the printer unattended with a 3rd party resin in a cartridge. You can have overflow issues and failures.

The ceramics might be a different story because they might settle a little during print. Also note that you might need to add a thin layer of plastic (cheap vinyl or something) to get the ceramic resin to stick reliably. Measure the material and raise the build platform accordingly.

Most of the 3rd party resin discussions are here: Form 1 / 1+ / 2 3rd Party Resin Settings Master List

1 Like

The bite valves will last upwards of 3 liters and the overfill tends to come from viscosity difference. Thick flows out slower etc. The level sensor is capacitive and can work with anything formulated to a similar rating. I’ve been working with a company to adapt an already compatible resin to work with automatic mode.