Would you buy it again?

I saw others responding about Form 2s and even Form 1s. I don’t need a Form 3, but when I upgrade in the future, Formlabs will be my top choice. :smiley:

YES I would buy the 2 or 3 again…

As to Preform NO. Not that I have a choice.
TIRED of Preform correcting my models and closing up holes; i no longer let it do that!

"would you buy it again?"
I did not.

Unlike some folks here, I did not own a Form 2 or Form 3, I only owned a couple of Form 1+ machines, and they did serve me well through their lifespan, and to that I must thank FormLabs for introducing me to the resin printer world.

But the high cost of repairs, closed system and unwillingness by Formlabs to provide spare parts, drove me away.

A month ago I sold my last Form 1+ printer, which frankly had been gathering dust for the past 6 months, and bought a new Anycubic Photon Mono X printer to go with my original Anycubic Photon, which had been my go to printer for the past year and half.

The Original Photon was/is a great little workhorse, and for the type of prints I make (mostly miniatures) it’s been great. Almost no failures, and the few I did have were related to either the model not being properly positioned or me forgetting to do something (like hollow hollowing the model or assuming I could get away without supports or very little supports).

Anyway, when the new kids on the block came out, that use the purpose-built monochrome screens, I was thinking about getting a new Photon Mono, but then they introduced the larger 9" screen version with 4K resolution, which meant they kept the X-Y resolution to 50um, even though the print area increased 250%. So now I have a printer that can print large objects (192x120x245mm volume), or many smaller objects packed on the build area.

And it can print fast! Faster than anything I owned before, or that FormLabs currently makes. Yes, I know that a laser printer can print a small item very fast (faster than a mSLA/LCD printer), but once that item becomes larger or more complex, the mSLA/LCD printer will leave any Form printer in the dust.

So, while I no longer own a Formlabs printer, I still come here and enjoy reading the posts, and occasionally “stir up the pot” :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve had my Form 3 for about one year now. I imagine when I do purchase a new 3d printer it will be several years away. I do like the look of the new high-resolution UV-LCD printers. Likely I would try something like that.

Like others here I’ve found the Form 3 to be relatively expensive to operate. Customer service has largely been helpful, although there have been a few items where it feels like there’s a never-ending laundry list of things I have to do before they’ll take action. I’m okay with paying a premium for quality, but I want to feel like the company I’m dealing with is treating me fairly. What I don’t like about Formlabs is their desire to trap customers in their “premium ecosystem”.

It’s been a fun adventure and I’ll keep printing with the Form 3 for another few years. So perhaps I’ll change my mind. But I’m trending towards the next printer being something that’s completely open.

1 Like

I researched SLA desktop printer options for a couple months prior to buying the Form3 in August 2020. Based on customer support, the amount of time my sales rep spent with me answering questions, pricing, speed/ease of set up and running parts, yes, I’d buy it again.

To me, being able to buy a complete system, not just the printer, was a major reason I went with Formlabs. Cheaper printer manufacturers often only offer the printer whereas Formlabs offers the wash tank and UV oven, plus PreForm and numerous upgrades. I didn’t want to piece-part my system … I much preferred to buy a system of units designed to fit together.

Lastly, the vast range of resins, which continue to expand, was another consideration. As with buying JUST a printer from XYZ-manufacturer requiring sourcing other components, trying to match resin from another supplier often doesn’t work out well over time, either due to availability or quality issues or, even worse, the supplier goes out of business.

2 Likes

Update: I have, in fact, bought a refurbished Form2! One lives in the office, the other lives in my house and both run nearly constantly,

Edit: My main points of draw with Formlabs are the engineering specialty resins and the ‘push button receive bacon’ quality of life features. I work in toy design and that is also my focus as a hobby, so being able to print in 50A or 80A or Tough 1500 or Durable or Clear or custom blends that act like PVC are the whole point. I am literally running prints for two projects that require two different soft durometer materials as I type this, and they will consistently and predictably turn out the way they need to.

A real little jewel of technology at a price defying all competition.
Having a business for several years and using this quality material, I can only recommend it.
Usable for a variety of products and objects, your equipment is the most suitable for all types of use.
For example, stores like cleanotop. Or one of my store of passionate with Presentart, takes advantage of this material to create some of its products.