Warping diferences between Grey and Black

I often need to print thin large flat areas which seems to be one of the worst things to print with the Form 2 as they just seem to warp like no tomorrow. What I usually do is print, Post cure for an hour then get it glued down and make a silicone mold keeping out of any direct sunlight.

I was using grey and sometimes the parts would warp bad just during the post cure so I tried using the black, This seemed to help a lot, So I guess I what I am asking is, Does the black pigment help prevent warping as it slows down the curing process by restricting the amount of light thus reducing the warping or I am just getting lucky… Has anyone else tested or have experience with this.

Here are some photos of the test build before casting the finals of what I am designing, (I design and manufacture scale model kits for the hobby industry)
This frame is over 12 inches long .050 thick so I had to break it down into 2 parts the glue it together for the final master pattern. I did design it with warping in mind so all the axles and supports are designed to align and square up the kit so there is 15 parts in all for just the frame along with the parts used from the base kit. (This is a conversion for an existing plastic Model)

1 Like

First, that looks great! I used to build a lot of truck models as a kid. Back then Ertle (I think the brand was) made great models of all kinds of trucks.

Anyway, yeah, I have had less warping of thin parts with black too. Also though, minimizing the time the part is in IPA, as well as waiting to remove the base and supports until cured will help reduce warping as well - regardless of resin.

Thank You…
On all the small parts I will printing on demand for the kit and will let the Builder remove the supports at the time used.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.