Trouble with molding a complicated print

Hello everyone!

This is my first post with this community and I’m really excited to get to know everyone but please be gentle with me :slight_smile:

I’m trying to silicone cast a 3d print of a breastfeeding mother for my wife’s company. Here is a picture of the print:

While casting I’m having real issues with the middle part between the legs of the model. After casting I was unable to release it with the whole form - it was stuck inside:

I have to cast this as one piece - it cannot be seperated into 2 pieces as the final resin mold is going to be semi-transparent.

I have the middle piece seperated so I can try to attach it before puring the resin but I don’t have a good idea on how this can be done.

Any advice?

Thanks for all and any help with this topic!
Hope to hear from you soon! :slight_smile:

I think it will be tricky as hell beceause of that emptiness between arms :smiley: .
I would try to turn the sculpure 180 degrees - and try to form it “head down” - after silicone will be harder, then tyu to use some long scalpel and gently cut this place in half and see if that will make it better.
But i would have to take it to my hands and play with it - otherwise I may be saying bu**shit :wink: .

I have never used a silicone mold but in jewelry we use rubber molds and in a case like that we would use what we call a “plug”. You would cut out the piece, usually with an exacto knife, under the arms then you would pull it out of the model and place it back it to the mold the way it came. It should fit back in the same way it came out. Then once you pour the resin in you would let it set up a little then pull the piece out. I usually try to give myself a little extra rubber (or silicone in this case) to pull it out like a tab. I am not sure if this helps but I hope it does.

Hi Mjlew,
This part looks fine to mould, yes a little bit of thinking required for splitlines however I have done pieces similar to this before.
Before I go any further though, what material will the final piece be cast from?

Paddy