Recoating the Tanks with Sylgard

My two Form2 trays came out at 99 and 103gms.
The sylgard has now dried, bubble free and superficially looking good.
Just waiting for the opportunity to use one of them.
I agree about HT resin clouding the PDMS… In my expereince so far; grey seems to be the most PDMS friendly followed by white followed by HT.

I don’t think you’ll even get 15 tanks out of it. There will simply be just too much waste. To get the most out of your Sylgard container, you’ll need to do all your tanks at once, and I don’t know about you, but I don’t have 15/16 tanks available.

Assuming you do, you now have to find a container big enough to hold a Kilo+ of sylgard mix with enough room left for stirring/mixing. When you pour your Syldard out, you will loose some, which will stay behind on the walls of the original container. Considering the size of that container, I would think you’ll loose at least 50-60 grams maybe more.

Next once you’ve mixed it all, you’ll now have to pour it into the tanks, and once again, you’ll loose another 50+ grams.

I think that if you could mix it all in the original container, that would result in the least amount of waste, but most likely, unless there’s quite a bit of empty room in it, you won’t be able to do it.

If I were to do this, I would resign myself to the fact that, first, I wouldn’t be able to do more than 4-5 tanks at a time, and the total yield would be closer to 12 or 13 tanks.

On the original topic, I’m now using the third tank, which apparently came out just fine. So The first tank did not cure level, so it failed that way, the nxt one had all the runoff, which was pretty bad, so that had to scrapped, and the last one, works perfectly.

Hopefully on the next batch, I’ll be able to apply the things I’ve learned and come up with a better yield. In any case, as it stands at the moment, I’m breaking even (dollar wise) to buying a new tank.

1 Like

Thanks, never worked with Sylgard myself. :slight_smile:
I do have a few trays soon so the info is really helpful.

Did you need to use a heat gun for bubbles?

I didnt. The mixture was poured in very bubbly but within 1 hour they had all disappeared with no intervention.

As Thowe26 mentioned, you don’t needed it. I tried using a hair drier, and all it did was get rid of the larger surface bubbles, but didn’t help at all with the thousands if not tenths of thousands of micro-bubbles inside the liquid. They all disappeared though within an hour or two on their own.

So, I don’t think a hair drier, heater or a degassing vacuum chamber are necessary.

Hi , I’m new beginning for this site recommend I thank you for everything.