Need unwanted scrap prints

Hello,

We are looking for someone who has a Formlabs 3D printer. We are interested in buying the unwanted 3D prints that you might just discard as scrap. We want to see how the quality of the material is and also if we can paint on it and how the paint will come out. We want to buy many of your scrap prints that you have no use for, medium to big size 3D printed items that were printed on a Formlabs 3D printer. Reason why is we are thinking about buying a 3D printer for our toy company but are still debating and want to see the outputs from Formlabs machines and especially how the paint comes on. Please let us know soon.

Thank you

Where are you based?

We are in Chicago and we don’t mind paying for shipping.

Properly prepared and primed, 3D prints take paint just like you’d expect them to. It’s more a function of the quality of the paint than the underlying print material. But you have to prime. Painting an unprimed print is an effort in frustration and futility, though the severity is also a function of the resin type/color…

Here are a couple of photos of prints that I painted.

Yeah, the head is me. If you check my avatar you’ll see what the part looked like before I painted it.

We’re in Chicago, and are running 2 form2s. We don’t have too many scraps, very few failed prints. I guess you could have some bases to work with and paint. Contact me if you’d like to see our machines, or if you’d like us to print for you.

Bill

1 Like

If you ask Formlabs nicely, they will send you out a free print sample.

They aren’t “medium to big”, but you can do a paint test and see the amazing print quality.

Hi Bill,

That sounds great! Can I call you and we can discuss? I’m in downtown Chicago. If you can give me your number or you can also call me at 312-343-3514.

Thanks,

Bhav

Hi Randy,

Great job looks amazing! So you think you can give advice guidance on the process and the materials (primers and paint) that you used? Would be super helpful.

Thanks a lot!

Bhavi

Hi Randy,

I noticed that on the first 3d print of the human figure there are no lines on it which is great. But how come on the second one the Fruitlands Cup there are lines on the Red Purple Yellow parts?

Thanks,

Bhav

stair stepping from the angle he grew it at. and perhaps the setting was thicker layers to complete fast. my best guess

Intentional, but yes, achieved by positioning the model horizontally for printing. Intent was to make it look like the little houses had clapboard siding without putting myself through the aggravation of modeling that feature in to the geometry.

Came out great on the side facing forward. Unfortunately, because the positioning of the model was horizontal there’s a lot of “tugging” on the supports when each layer is peeled, which gave the back side of the print (where all the supports were touching) a dimpled “chicken skin” texture I had to manually clean up with sanding. So the house faces are flat/smooth on the back side of the trophy.

There’s not a lot of magic to getting paint to stick.

1. Make sure the model is cleaned and post-cured enough the surface is hard and dry not soft and tacky
  2. Choose a primer with an appropriate base color for the paints you intend to apply, I used automotive primer because that’s what I had on hand
  3. Prime
  4. Paint

On my “head”, I used Testors plastic model enamel paint. On the trophy I used Tamiya Acrylic. The final result looks about the same but the Acrylic needed more coats.

I use Tamiya primer and it works great

we are printing dental models and once make the plastics over it …the models are waste…do u need it …we print in stratysys and also in form 2

drjohn

If you are making clear aligners, after the next stage is delivered, the printed model becomes a marketing tool. Make sure you emboss the models with the patient info and your office name!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.