Market for Formlabs printed parts

Morning!

I am US based, but talking with many colleagues I realized internationally this experience is pretty universal. I will be pretty honest here after trying to dip my toes back in the service bureau world with a Form 4B starting several months ago; I believe it will be very difficult for anyone to consistently make money with Formlabs machines in a competitive service bureau environment, impossible without already established clients with personal relationships and deep pockets…

I will talk about SLS first actually, because you hit the nail on the head and everything I am about to say for SLS can be almost directly applied to SLA. There is a reason the only people using Fuse system are companies who can generate their own demand to print or prototyping for R&D. You will almost never see service bureaus actually making consistent money using a fleet of Fuse 1+, because it does not make any sense over buying even just 1 or 2 HP or EOS machine. Those machines are larger (can fit much bigger parts), MUCH faster, and more reliable. Most importantly, material for those machine are CHEAPER at volume compared to Fuse. I was ordered sample parts from the Fuse system recently to evaluate its capabilities and shocked to find outsourcing my parts to a large service bureau to be made on an HP system to be cheaper with faster turnaround. They already have the capital paid off and can out-economy scale any small service bureau. It makes no sense to order from a service bureau with Fuse 1+ who struggle to print Nylon12GF and not be able to deliver for several weeks while I can get those parts made reliably on an HP machine for usually cheaper anyways.

Like I said, this argument can be directly applied to SLA as well. To compete with large service bureaus with Carbon and Stratasys Origin machines, I need a room full of Form 4s, and even then, I cannot compete on quality nor material choice nor reliability. Furthermore, believe it or not, those machines are moving towards open material by Loctite and such with often better workflow, curing time, and are CHEAPER than formlabs materials. I do not believe currently the Form 4 can stand up to a service bureau environment with many clients not happy with the quality the printer output. You can real all about it here: My experience with the Form 4(B) so far/ Semi-Review from a Semi-Industrial User Perspective

Long story short, the Form 4 ecosystem is nowhere near mature. Leaving the printer’s inability to print accurately aside, the post processing workflow is extensive. By the time you favor in the labor for washing, curing, and grinding away support marks and polishing model to presentable condition, the turnaround time and labor cost a substantial amount. I already had a case where client reported it makes no sense to order parts from me with a 2-3 week turnaround with only 10-20% cost savings, while a big service bureau can print on a 3D systems machine in one go and deliver within the week.

Unfortunately, the people who actually will buy 3D printed parts (that I have found) consistently are:

1. Aerospace, government
  2. Fortune 500/ engineering companies consistently prototyping
  3. Hospitals, clinics, point of care application (usually they buy their machine)

Most of these people can afford outsourcing to big service bureaus or buy their own machines. The small service bureaus I know have survived by having personal relationships and a couple production contracts. The ones relying on niches usually go out of business.

Long story short, I am lucky that this is a side hustle, and I have a nonprofit side profiting free printing as well. My goal was to break even, and that still failed from the lack of reliability and quality that I can depend on from the Form 4. Your best bet is to network and find clients with consistent needs for parts such as engineering companies during short production runs or medical/ biotech companies needing biocompatible parts. Do serious testing and make sure Form 4 can deliver what you want from it (especially from the engienering and biocompatible resins, they are the ONLY thing unique about this system that can compete on paper with big name machines). Shake hands and develop personal relationships. Those people are probably not reading the Formlabs forums lol

I wish you best of luck.

edit: I think it would be probably necessary for Formlabs to lower SLA and SLS material by at least like 50% for any of this to begin to make more sense… but before then, the Form 4 needs to do what it is advertised to do and print with a semblance of accuracy.

2 Likes