Loose Sealing?

Have had this happen to both my printers.
I’ve never been inside, as I don’t have time where I work, but if it’s an easy fix, then I may think about investing in some torx screws, and if I do, is there a specific set of torx screwdrivers that I need?

Thanks for reading :relieved:

You don’t need torx keys to remove the optical window, it’s being held by 4 hex screws. Formlabs has a PDF guide for removing it I’m sure they’ll forward it to you if you contact them.

The optical windows is a sub-assembly containing the windows, the black aluminium frame and the foam seal that it bothering you. It is quite easy to access it but you may have some leftover glue on the window once you remove the foam and it may not stick well once you replace it… again, by contacting Formlabs they’ll help you out, maybe even send you a new one.

It’s normal. I’ve seen this with multiple printers.

It’s a common/normal defect, nothing “normal” about it.

Even if it doesn’t impact the printer’s capabilities. It may not prevent the laser from hitting the tank but it may provide a way for resin to find its way inside the printer in case of a leak.

Hey @SeanNunan!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post!

The other posts above me are correct. The optical window should be held in by a couple hex screws.

As far as the actual sealing issue goes, if you’d like to get it swapped out, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at the link below and we’d be happy to give you a hand.

https://support.formlabs.com/s/contact-support?language=en_US

That being said, the issue shown in your specific photos shouldn’t have any effect on your printed products. I absolutely understand if you’d rather adhere to a “better safe than sorry” policy to get it replaced though. And obviously if you are seeing characteristic optical degradation in your prints in the area where the issue is occurring we can help you with that as well!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.