Introducing a Full Suite of Engineering Resins

My understanding is that there are fundamental differences between the Form 1/1+ and Form 2 that don’t give you the process control needed to reliably print with Durable. You may be able to get things working for your specific applications, but we’re not confident we could allow the bulk of our users to print Durable reliably on the Form 1/1+.

Oh man to think I bought a tank of tough resin just two weeks ago specifically because I needed a ABS-like material only to find it wasn’t even close to stiff enough for my application :joy:

How are the fumes/smell of these resins? Tough V2 has an unbearable oder which forces me to open all my windows in my office.

Burnout process for clear resin.
Celsius degrees

room temp to 300°, 5°/min, 30 min hold
300° to 400°, 5°/min hold 30 min
400 to 600 5°/min hold 30 min
600 to 900 5°/min hold 30 min
Cast a t 900
total time about 4 hours
Using bellevest investment for bego (vaccum mixed).

Please take care to have at least 10 mm of space between the casted object and the outer of your cylinder, It may brake otherwise.

This process works good for memost of the time. You defintely need to adjust the hold time for each temp depending on the thikness of your object.

Dental frameworks are usually very thin parts from 1 to 2.5 mm.

3 Likes

I mix tough with clear or black resin to better emulate ABS (doesn’t have quite the same mechanical properties but it’s close after curing). I like a 50-50 blend, but will range anywhere from 25% tough to 75% clear, or vice versa depending on what I want to do with it. It works really well!

@armstrongc93
Never had this problem with the resin tank, but for sure the laser exposure is very high for castable settings and the tank gets cloudy very quickly.
I think I have tried most of the castabl resin on the market.
Most of them won’t work with the form 2 as long as we can’t adjust laser exposure…
Best result wher using makerjuice, Casting is easy.
Problem is object at least for me where not adapting to the dental model.

@David_Maillot
It’s really strange, it only happens on the tank walls and just looks/feels like a powdery coating. I’ve had this happen in 3 different tanks as well, so I really don’t know why it’s happening.

I had an ok experience casting the CastSolid resin from MadeSolid (before they got into tax trouble); the burn out wasn’t as clean as the Formlabs Castable resin was so the surface finish was just ok. It polished up nicely though so can’t complain too much. I had the best luck using clear settings (since that particular resin is entirely transparent), but as you said earlier, it is very soft even after curing.

The final cast from both CastSolid and Formlabs definitely did not match the print exactly, so I can see that being a huge problem for dental work.

@armstrongc93

Yes it is a big problem.
Wether you make Framework for partial denture or crown and bridge, it has to match perfectly.

My burnout process for clear resin is optimized for time.

Sometimes, metal doesn’t cast clean, this is due to invesment cracks, it looks like lace on one edge of the casted part, but this I can get rid of…and the polish it.
The most important is that the part is exactly as designed in all 3 axis…and that was the proble with Castable V2, parts were veiled ( hope I am using the correct words)

Now that you say it happens on the walls of the tank, I remmber it, you’re totally right.

Last as tried was Dentcast also called 3D casdt from Novux.
It’s a stiff castable resin, unfortunately even using the clear resin settings, it overcures and isn’t usable.
I have seen Framework build out of dentcast using an Asiga printer, results are just perfect, and you can relly try it on the moder, trim or had material if needed…

Hello,

I noticed in the video that the temperature resin you where using it on a torch gun. But how long can it withstand the heat? Is there a timeline? Before it crystallized itself.

Thanks

I too would like much stiffer castable resin.

Perhaps mixing it with a castable resin like the Makerjuice Waxcast (that requires strong laser power) would solve the over-curing issue? Do you have link for the Novux cast resin, I googled and found “Zirlux 3D Cast” mentioned (is that the same?), but I am not seeing where I can buy it online.

Another thought, using an FEP coating on top the PDMS, since the UV transmittance of FEP is around 82%; see this thread. If it works, it might have the huge bonus of not fogging too. :wink:

@3DTOPO
http://www.arseus-lab.fr/fr_fr/catalog/product/view/id/139212/s/novux-3d-cast-1kg/

Are the engineering resins only available for the Form2?
I was interested in both the new tough and high temp.

HIgh Temp & Tough will be available for the Form1+. The Durable will not be available for the Form 1 or 1+
Johelen
www.sourcegraphics.com

Does your education package include any 2 of the new resins? Or is that package based off of the initial resins you had developed?

Thanks, do you know if the High Temp can print at 25 micron?

Scratch that question, found the specs and in the store. Thanks anyways.

Be nice if they offered trial sizes, ie 1/4 bottles or enough to fill a tank.

1 Like

That would be really nice for a sample material to try it. Getting a sample part of the material doesn’t always give you the direct application you are looking to use it for and for startup companies with low budgets or just individuals who want to learn something new or try it out might be much more willing to jump into a $35 sample.

Congratulations!! For Prototyping Service Provider, this is indeed a great news- Looking forward for these materials. And in Future looking for a larger bed size of Machine.
Again Great Work Team!! All the Best :slight_smile:

Great job FL! I salute the team who made this possible. @Frew do me a favor and thank your team for this amazing work! Just a day ago one of my clients wanted to print parts that can handle the heat well and I told him it’s not possible on my Form 2. Well, now it is!

3 Likes

Is Tough 3 compatible with Tough 2?

I just need to check as I have a full tray of Tough2 but the cartridge is now empty