Form Wash with anything other than IPA?

I contacted DOW for distributors of TPM in my area and they denied to do business with me since I am not a registered business owner. Is TPM only available to business exclusively?

I have tried reaching out to DOW as well. They refused to discuss selling the material since I am a home based business. It did not matter that I have a business license and LLC. I have yet to find a distributor. Maybe I just do not know how to look up the correct distributors on the internet. I am located in Birmingham, Al.

For TPM we use 15 minutes for most materials. Glad to hear DPM is working for you. We just canā€™t recommend it due to the damage it causes to the Form Wash. It is compatible with our resins though.

1 Like

As mentioned above, DPM and Yellow Magic will eat the powder coating, but it may have other effects as well, especially when mixed with resins. Basically use at your own risk in the Form Wash.

To your other question, TPM, DPM, and IPA are solvents. They actually dissolve the components of the resin into solution. Yellow Magic 7 seems to mostly act as a detergent and keep removed resin from re-depositing on the part. Thatā€™s why it works well with ultrasonic cleaners.

Mechanical filtration of the solvents wonā€™t remove the dissolved components, but it may remove pigments and other large particles that could extend the life of your solvent somewhat.

I was able to purchase TPM from JR Hess, its sold in 5 gallon drums at $410 each. They did not ask a bunch of questions about my usage like the Dowanol vendors so maybe they are more home business friendly. I plan to put TPM in the form wash and water in an ultrasonic. The TPM leaves a greasy film on the parts before the water bath, is a degreaser used in the water or does plain water remove that? If a degreaser would help reduce contaminated water waste that would be helpful.

Anyone found an alternative to resinaway ? I like the fact that is not flammable. My room is not that well ventillated and I stress a bit about the fact that the fumes can ignites because of my heaterā€¦ but if resinaway makes you puke cause of the smell itā€™s not that good i guessā€¦ Anything non flammable that doesnt smell that bad??

I also tried different solutions but IPA looks the best from perspective of performance/price/convenience. The main problem with IPA is the smell, but it could be very easily solved if you use removable ventilation over the pots where you wash the details. I made a simple, removable ventilation which could be used practically everywhere where you can open a window :

1. Use cylinder fan 125mm diam like this one https://maxgrowshop.com/bul_pl_Š’Š•ŠŠ¢Š˜Š›ŠŠ¢ŠžŠ -Š’-Š›ŠŠ™Š-125-VKO-125mm-185m3-h-387_2.jpg

2. Add two flexible and extendable pipes on both sides of the fan like these ones:
    https://bauhaus.bg/img/20302/640/640/product_20302.jpg

3. Attach round to rectangular pipe converter directly on the tank with the IPA
    https://bauhaus.bg/img/33485/640/640/product_33485.jpg

4. Other end of the pipe attach outside of the window (passing through semi opened window).

If youā€™re interested I can post some images of my solution where you can see some details how things fit together. I can ensure you, that when using this ventilation solution, there is zero smell of IPA - itā€™s impossible to sense any smell of IPA when washing the details.

Than you very much @luben111 ! I will take a look into that! I will be trying alternative of IPA (SimpleGreen and MeanGren) in the near future but if it doesnt go as plan and I go back to IPA I will really consider your solution.!

Hi kdude,
I tried Mr.Proper (similar to Simple Green and MeanGrean) with FormLabs resins and the results are dreadful - after washing in 50deg good quality ultrasonic bath for 10 minutes the surface became covered with sticky / tacky layer. Any attempts to remove this tacky layer without IPA were in vain. If you donā€™t remove it - after curing the surface looks terrible. Personally for me Simple Green and MeanGrean are no-go ways. Not on last place - the smells of Simple Green and MeanGrean (the deodorants inside these cleaners) are actually stronger than IPA.

What are people in California using now the IPA has been banned from sale there?

How has your experience with TPM been?

TPM works well. We use it in the form wash. Let it drip dry after the wash. We wash in a dish soap & water ultrasonic bath afterwards and let it dry before the UV cure.

This is a great topic! Thanks to everyone posting so far. Iā€™m a new Form 3 owner and with the scarcity of isopropyl alcohol (and it being banned in CA apparently) TPM sounds like a good alternative.

@karambu what kind of ultrasonic cleaner do you use? Thanks in advance!

DPM attacks some plastics, ABS? so you need to use an all metal ultrasonic.

Not for water + dish soap :wink:

It will make the form wash look ugly as DPM only attacks the powder coating.
Other than that, our wash is working like a champ for 6 months with DPM in it.

I use a 30L ultrasonic I got from Amazon, they have some $200-300 models which work fine. Just make sure the dimensions are big enough to fit your largest parts.

@karambu Thank you!

Are people using the ultrasonic for the DPM/TPM bath or the post DPM water bath?

And which work-flow work best?

This is our workflow: