Enhancing the life of the resin tanks

Apparently Carbon uses Teflon AF 2400 with “with excellent oxygen permeability, UV transparency, and chemical inertness”. The stuff isn’t cheap either - it goes for around us$1500 per 25 grams. Carbon casts the bottom plate in-house. They also pump oxygen (or air?) to the plate.

Problem is - even if I managed to cast my own plate - I would be stuck with the firmware settings on the Form 2.

By the way here is the white paper on the Continuous Liquid Interface Production (CLIP) process used by Carbon:

Tumbleston2015gl.pdf (995.2 KB)

Tumbleston.SM.pdf (411.7 KB)

For some people it would probably be cost effective to pay that much for a tray that won’t ever have to be replaced

I suppose so - but I’m not sure how many grams it would take of the Teflon AF2400. Could easily cost $5k - $10k for a window made of it. And for that kind of investment - it would kill me to be stuck at the current speed. So we need open firmware!

1 Like

Looks like someone has made their own CLIP window:

Details are scarce, but states they used Cytop Film from http://www.agc.com/ - $1450 for 1000ml/1% = 10 grams of film.

Looks like he poured the solution in a glass container, heated for 30-100˚ (guessing celsius) for 5 hours then 100-340˚ for 3 hours. Then stretched the film using the flex vat technique.

He shows a fan that is feeding it air under it - I’m not sure if this could be adapted to the Form, thoughts?

1 Like

That’s pretty sweet. I don’t see why it couldn’t be adapted…

Hey, what about the material used for contact lenses? That’s somewhere around 55% oxygen permeable…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Looks like threads that were created before we removed auto-close are still affected. Sorry about that! Here’s a link to the newer thread for anyone interested: Enhancing the life of the resin tanks. CONT