Do we have to use supports all the time for our prints?

I have been looking at a few of my drawings in the form software and it looks pretty clean and straight forward.  I like the use of red to indicate the areas that need support for safer printing.  One thing that interested me though was a Goldberg-8-3  sphere I downloaded from somewhere.  When I loaded it into the software it shows no red areas!  Does this mean it can be printed without supports?  I suspect not because of the small contact area there will be on the plate,  but how can we manage these decisions, is it something that comes with a little practice and not just looking for the red!

Interested in peoples thoughts.

I have attached a form file with the sphere at 3.5" for folks to look at.

Goldberg_sphere.zip

Hey Nigel,

The red “supportedness” only appears after supports are generated. For now, you’ll have to use your best judgement to determine whether or not a print would work without supports. There’s some additional information about support structures here:  https://formlabs.zendesk.com/entries/23395888-Advanced-Support-Structure-Settings

In this case, the part you’ve attached would require supports to print well.

Craig, thanks for that.  You know I have imported several items into the S/W yesterday and for some reason it did not register that there was no red before I added the support structures!  I can see it now.  I have been through the support documentation previously so I have seen the referenced page.

Onwards. . . .