Budget UV Cure Box (Jar?)

Yeah, especially if they get warm which is what you want a cure box to be. I probably get less than 100 hours out of the LED strips I bought.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just use the nail dryer UV bulbs instead - you get 36 watts for almost half the cost of 20 watts with that light.

I made a build of @AtlasBrace 's Ikea cure chamber. Total build cost for 108 watts of UV was $125 including cabinet and shipping.

Hi @3DTOPO
From all the infos, I’ll certainly start with one or two uv nails chambers and maybe build something like the Ikea UV chamber if needed.

I’ve seen that you’re doing quite a lot of casting, I hope to start soon too, small casting first :slight_smile:

The reason I chose LED strips was so I could wrap it around the outside of the jar so I could fill the jar with water. I suppose a clear glass dish filled with water inside a cabinet lit by bulbs would work too. Though maybe not as safely. But most of the resins don’t really need to be submerged. I set this up originally because I was printing Flex which needs submersion. But in truth I haven’t done it a lot and mostly I use the jar “dry”.

UV does not penetrate water too well. Your cure time may be really long if there is a good amount of water between your lamps and the part you are trying to cure.

Actually, it does. In the 400nm region the absorption of water is at a minima. In fact, UV (the frequencies we care about) penetrates water better than any other frequency of light. As you can see from this chart, Water hardly attenuates UV at all.

Also worth re-emphasizing that FL states that immersion in water is required for post-curing some resins. If the water absorbed UV, immersion in water would prevent the curing from occurring and FL would be wrong about the products they’ve designed. Which seems unlikely to me.

the info I know on UV absorption is that for our minimal distances (few cm) that the absorption in water is very minimal.
The water reduces oxygen on the surface. Oxygen on the surface impedes curing. Another tip is to use warm water (just from a warm faucet) which is meant to improve the material strength, according to Formlabs’ white paper.
Another important factor is that the parts must be clean! In an environment where people don’t keep their cleaning solutions clean and the Ultrasonic bath clean, this means the parts will be “sticky” no matter how much you post-cure. Use a fine artists brush to brush the surfaces during cleaning if you want to help with the cleaning. I also have magnetic stirrers in the Formlabs’ IPA containers so that the IPA solution (I use 50%) is constantly agitated.

Hello,
here is the sheet metall design project oft our
UV Curing Drum :relaxed:
Built with the individual parts from a nail cure box
and some printed parts :sunglasses:

• reflective surface at the inner space
  • without cutting wires and soldering…

Have fun while building and printing
Regards
Rainer

4 Likes

I only wish I could like this more times! Really simple, clean, functional, and very makeable design. Very cool work.
I love it.

-C

Hi there! Just another UV-Curing Box.
I made it in half a day using onshape.com and a cnc-mill:
Instructions and bill of material: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2442411
this setup is about 50$.
https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/fe/72/cb/2a/39/0eb269b488efe0895cd8c8ae35d673d1_preview_featured.jpg
https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/8a/fc/65/97/cd/2004f0b634ac94e718f7adadd52790ca_preview_featured.jpg

6 Likes

Can any one who has made Randy’s original version of the Curing Jar give me an idea of what temperature the 24 watt led strip will produce in the jar?

Thanks

Hello, this is a very nice idea, not so expensive, but without heating.
Now any old hairdryer, the same effectiveness like Formlabs Cure. :wink:

Correct about the water— but my understanding was that most glass does not pass UV light very well.
Having the leds OUTSIDE the jar is not an issue?

Got two SUN Q7, https://www.agromat.gr/image/cache/products/011048-3-1200x1200.jpg
uv nail chambers working in both 365 and 405nm (24-48W). Does anybody know how to bypass the 5 to 60 seconds timer they have?

Planing to remix the romanjurt model on thingiverse .