Alumide resin?

Since you’ve (formlabs) delved into Rigid resin, is there anyway you can make an Alumide or other similar metallic resin?

1 Like

Still wondering if it would work to mix aluminium dust with tethon 3d genesis resin. We’ve tested their ceramic resin and it’s really good.

1 Like

It’d be really cool to put Inconel and other less common metal powders into a resin, maybe it’s just a matter of material safety? I know a lot of powders are highly flammable.

2 Likes

I would imagine you might have some issues with the UV sufficiently curing material. I would guess metal powders reflect, block and scatter the laser light making it difficult. I think an aluminum powder would be pretty safe as it wouldn’t be airborne at all.

1 Like

I mean, this exists: http://tethon3d.com/product/ferrolite-iron-resin-500ml/

I think with a sufficiently small enough particle size, the reflectivity becomes increasingly less important, since it would cure the resin surrounding the particle. Then again, I’m not a resin developer, chemical engineer, or researcher, and your thoughts could very well be more correct! Once it’s in the resin though, as long as it’s not subjected to excess oxygen and ignition temperature, i suppose the safety would be fairly high. The worst thing to happen would be combustion of a substance like titanium or magnesium!

2 Likes