Adding Water to Contaminated IPA Produces Precipitate

Hi,

I’ve been using my company’s Form2 for quite some time now, and so far, I’ve been taking care of my used alchohol by allowing free floating resin to settle and reusing the cleaner alchohol I’ve poured off, then exposing the smaller amount of high concentrate IPA to sunlight.

When cleaning my wash tank, I notice when high concentrations of water come in contact with contaminated IPA, a precipitate of some kind is formed. I’m doing testing to see if this precipitate is the dissolved resin. If it is, I’m hoping it can be then filtered off and the aqueous ipa without resin can just be disposed of down the sink, as I don’t have a distilling solution.

Does anyone know for sure what this precipitate is? or know any other ways that don’t require chemical apparatus to recycle/dispose of IPA without using expensive hazardous waste disposal services.

Thanks in advance.

Almost certainly the precipitate is resin, but you shouldn’t be disposing of IPA down the sink. Collect your used IPA in a sealed 5-gallon bucket (you can pick one of these up easily at any home improvement store). Many municipalities offer disposal of household hazardous waste for free. Make the monthly trip - it’s worth it.