Ability to turn off the initial layer compression for flat printing

In my opinion this advanced user, special-case, highly dangerous feature has zero chance of being added. I know it sounds handy.

@JoshK they already have for the most part itā€™s called z-offset. I would like it if they gave us a greater height range. Itā€™s just not a simple as turning it off, which is what most of the conversation has been about. Itā€™s also not highly dangerous.

Increasing the z-offset range is a good idea would be awesome. And the result of it would be the same as the feature mentioned. And since going too far is easy to understand I wouldnā€™t call that dangerous at all.

Another idea for solving this is to refurbish your own tank and adjust the thickness of the PDMS to your liking.

Hey thatā€™s a great idea and it would save on slygard too! Itā€™s going to be a while before I order more and try that but I definitely will! Iā€™m still trying to find a cheaper source of the Slygard 182 but if I canā€™t Iā€™ll just stick with using 184 from MLSolar I already emailed them asking but they cant get 182 but they said the longer the 184 sets up the harder it gets so Iā€™m just going to let my re-coats sit for a week before I use them. I get best results with an 80/10 mix so Iā€™ll try a tray with half and see how it turns out.

Is this the same silicone as Sylguard?
From Smooth-On
http://www.smooth-on.com/a103/New-Solaris%3D-Clear-Encapsulating-Silicone/article_info.html

Itā€™s not the same but maybe it would work I donā€™t know?
Best price for Slygard is here: http://shop.mlsolar.com/Sylguard-SG1K.htm

Smooth-On is a little cheaper. Not sure if the bonding primer is useful.
In any case itā€™s probably not worth going though all the work because the tanks are pretty inexpensive.

Maybe down the road when I have a box full of them I might consider it.

I just have two that Iā€™ve been re-coating but a Slygard kit does five coats
and is way way cheaper than buying five tanks! $57.25 vs $310.08
I would very much like to hear any reports on the Smooth-On though!

Sounds like you could set up a service, take in peoples old tanks and re-coat themā€¦

Considered it but after shipping and with all the wait time so lots of space, and with all the potential for being blamed for print failures I decided no way! It would be alot different if it was just locals but I dont know of anyone even in Indianaā€¦

Iā€™m also interested in this- we generate a lot of haptic perception experiment stimuli and Iā€™ve not had a ton of luck printing flat for many of the reasons outlined above. The support weā€™ve received has also been rather ā€˜broadā€™ with respect to what is going on with respect to calibration. Sorry for a ā€˜me tooā€™ post , but wanted to make sure to add a voice to those wanting support (cough) for this.

Hey for those of you interested in Formlabs expanding the z-offset range, I have created a new feature request here please take a moment and post in it that you also want this feature. Maybe if enough people express interest they will do the tiny little mod to the software it would take to implement it.