Dyeing the printed piece different colors

So, as I mentioned: I don’t know anything about dying. I’m just winging it here. I got three colors of Rit dye: “lemon yellow”, “purple”, and “sunshine orange”. I decided to try the yellow first because I figured it would be the most compatible with the normal color of the clear resin. I now realize that since I started with yellow I can’t be entirely, 100% sure if the item actually got dyed or if I may have somehow accelerated the natural shift toward yellow that might have happened anyway. I think the color change is because of the dye - I’m just trying to make sure I’m not overstating my certainty.

So, the first time around I used somewhat close to 1 part dye to 32 parts water. I put the dye/water on the stove and let it come to a boil. After that I turned off the heat and stuck the piece into the liquid using some chopsticks. I sorta swirled it around for a few minutes but got bored. After that I basically just tossed it in and let it sink to the bottom of the pan. I left it there for 30 minutes.

Since the dye didn’t change the color very much I decided to give it another go. This time I added two times more dye to the existing mixture. At that point the mixture should have been close to 1:11 (dye:water). This time I hung the piece (the same piece as before) using a little twine and let the dye/water mixture simmer for 30 minutes (see the second photo).

In the first image the left half was taken without the flash and the right half was taken using the camera’s flash.

I hope to try purple and/or orange tomorrow…