Dissection of the Laser Spot using a DSLR

@RocusHalbasch, @Steve_Johnstone here’s my attempt at a color metered composite. I probably messed something up… I am pretty rusty with photoshop.

Hooray one set from someone with good print quality now I can start trying to analyse them to see if the difference is noticeable.

I used a tripod, but still had some wobble, so I had to manually align all the spots in photoshop. I can try to post the last 3 pictures again, and if you want my photoshop file (saved before attempting the composite) let me know.

I’m not considering the color images, until I have time to find a better method for creating them, as the way they are being made now is misleading. However I would like your remaining 3 images.

So here is a panel of flares side by side at each exposure. You can see that at 1/4000, 1/2000, and 1/1000 exposures the flares on the printers which exhibit problems are much worse. This becomes less distinguishable as the exposure time increases. It’s really telling just how clean and round Annino’s spots are at those really short exposures. Since the light visible in these exposures is the highest concentration it makes sense that the printers with flares exhibiting abnormalities on these have problems.

1 Like

I hope the table above demonstrates that while the normal method for taking a laser spot test doesn’t show enough information to analyse the laser with multiple exposures you can get a lot more information. I am confident if all of these had been taken with a specific rig using the same camera, the same lens, and the same positioning, and same piece of paper the results would be much more telling. While this can’t be expected from the community it is an option for Formlabs to try to better see the profile of the laser and analyse it.

Wow, wow, wow!!!

Talk about a picture telling a thousand words!

For me this is 100% proof that our laser flares are causing the problems. That first line up of spots says it all.

A huge thank you to @RocusHalbasch for taking time to compile the images and also @Annino for giving us a good laser spot to look at.

Formlabs have had my printer for two weeks now. They were supposed to be changing the laser and calibrating so not sure what’s taking so long. I must say that I’m disappointed that I haven’t heard anything from them and I’m going to have to chase them up tomorrow.

No problem, happy to help!

@RocusHalbasch, I still cant upload the remaining few pictures… not sure why but the forum won’t allow it. Thanks for putting the compilation together, that definitely paints the picture!

It’s probably because they’re too big (2MB+). Try resizing the images a little and see if that works.

Well that was stupid of me… Limit must have been 3MB :flushed:

Edited with the rest added.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.