Two New Engineering Materials: Grey Pro and Rigid

I’m not quite sure how it’s done (I think its a fluoropolymer (?) in the tank instead of the silicone), maybe @Frew can chime in here!

I can say that it has held up much better to the High Temp than previous tanks have. That resin burned through my tanks too fast, so this was a much needed improvement!

The tray can be used with all resins. It lasts much longer with standard resins and should be well worth the added price of the tray.

@Frew will the new materials refuse to print on the current resin trays? Or will they just come with a limited life?

If only i had rigid before printing my last project…

Friends’ startup is working on a wearable streaming cam, i was printing the case and clip prototypes - both, of course, are nothing but thin features. Regular Grey prototype broke for them after a week or two. We ended up using Durable, which works, but is slightly too bendy. Rigid seems like it would’ve been perfect.

Out of curiosity, how well does Rigid endure high temps? Say up to 150 deg C?
If i get some for their next prototypes, i wonder if i could (ab)use some for printing FDM printer parts :stuck_out_tongue:

@Frew are the LT tanks in any way inferior in terms of quality for the standard resins? I ask because I mainly use grey v3 (4) and if the results are the same it’s a no brainer!

There is a thread on the LT tanks here:

So far the feedback is that they are pretty similar for print quality. There are also some descriptions of the actual changes.

ok thanks, I somehow presumed the base material since it lasts longer might scatter the light differently, if theres no compromise, I don’t suppose I’ll use the regular tanks anymore!

There’s a fair bit of secret sauce included in the LT tanks so I can’t disclose which materials we’re using. @csauve, they do last considerably longer than Standard Tanks and can be used with each of our materials. You should check out this blog post for more information.

There are settings that prevent users from using Rigid and Grey Pro Resins in Standard Tanks. These materials will rapidly degrade the PDMS layer and are chemically incompatible with the Standard Tanks.

Same print quality, considerably longer lifetime, better printer detection, and improved spill protection :slight_smile:

I would almost think you would phase out the standard resin tank and just sell this one.

I imagine that will happen naturally as people stop buying the old ones.

I’d switch everything over to them entirely if they were as readily available as the other tanks.

2 Likes

A bit off topic, but please look into a West Coast distribution center. It’s a bit insane that everything has to be shipped from the East Coast.

There is a distributor on the West Coast. They are Source Graphics. Here’s their web site:

http://sourcegraphics.com/

2 Likes

Thanks for that source.

Makes shipping no more than two day ground for me.

1 Like

We have ordered a variety of things from Source Graphics and everything has gone well. I believe their prices are identical to purchasing directly from FormLabs, so there is no down side to Source Graphics.

thank you @jevoltin. Ships same day if ordered by 1:30pm PST.

Is there a full technical data sheet available for the rigid material yet?

Regarding the rigid resin, how is maintenance effected? Are there actually fibers in the resin, or particles, smaller than 190 micron? Can the resin still be filtered?

2 Likes