New product design and prototyping

Cloud is NOT secure. Saving files out in STP, IGS or any other exported format other than the native file format will defeat the purpose of having a parametric modeler because all that data is stripped out when exported.

Again most often many prototypes do not need full parametric features.

1 Like

I use Inventor and Fusion 360. Inventor is not free but Fusion is. Fusion 360 is amazing. Check out the YouTube videos on it. It will let you do surface modeling as well as the typical extrusion modeling. It does not do surfaces like rhino but it is great for free.

I have no use to use Fusion because of the subscription terms and the fact it is cloud based. So as amazing and wonderful it might be it will never be in my shop. Not interested and very happy with what I am using.

I use OnShape and I’m incredibly happy with it. There’s no reason you can’t use cloud-based software for patentable inventions. For me, OnShape was the most intuitive of all the packages I looked at and I’m still convinced that there isn’t anything easier to use. It doesn’t have as many features as some of the big name programs but it seems I don’t need any additional features for the work I’m doing.

@KenCitron, you’re paranoid. Rarely will anyone steal a product idea which isn’t already in the market making money. Copycats go after products which have proven market traction. Besides that, cloud is secure so you just don’t know what you’re talking about. Quit fear mongering.

The cloud is not secure, securing your data outside of your own local machine is not secure. Data gets mined and hacked all the time far more than you can believe. I personally won’t put my files at risk but if you want to then go ahead.

2 Likes

Indeed, data does gets hacked and mined all the time, but it’s no more secure in your hacked-together NAS, or Synology-consumer thingy, even less your computer’s hard-drive, than on a cloud. The cloud also had usually much better redundancy and is less prone to ransomeware than your own system. Also if parametric software isn’t necessary then it’s not an issue to export in STEP, right ? Since all the model feature are locked in the proprietary format and parametric modeling doesn’t matter, then a STEP file with a software that has good direct edit functionality is enough.

I see that your are paranoid with data security but you don’t see to know much about it. If you have data to prove that a cloud-.based service is less secure than your own storage then I would be happy to read it
 but I bet that without some overly complicated/bothersome measures OR an entreprise-level server and firewall, it will not be the case.

I just see it as an unnecessary risk. The other issue is it is still a subscription based program where once that runs out not only are you locked out of your files and are married to that software for a price.

There are other alternatives like I mentioned for reasonable moeny that are not subscription such as the perpetual license for Xenon if you truly need parametric features or FormZ Pro which is semi parametric hybrid modeler or Rhino and Moi3d that are direct modelers.

Back to the original question where BluesMatt was looking for a free modeler. I have not found one that was stable enough and/or had a reasonably usable gui that was free with no strings attached.

Personally I tend toward Solidworks although I find it somewhat buggy. I’ve played with Onshape and love it. Wrote a forum post a while back titled Goodbye Solidworks, Hello Onshape. If you’re new and don’t mind being tethered to the cloud, I’d say that’s the way to go.

Haven’t tried Fusion 360 yet, will have to.

Are you seriously saying that OnShape is superior to Solidworks? Don’t get me wrong, I like OnShape, as it has borrowed a lot from Solidworks, so it feels like working with a “Solidworks Lite”, but “GoodBye Solidworks”???.. I don’t think so. OnShape has a long, long way to go before it provides 1/4 of the functionality available in SW.

And what exactly is “buggy” about Solidworks?

2 Likes

Yes, it lacks a lot of advanced features, but the basics are there - guessing 85% of what I need in the type of work I do. “Lite” is a good analogy. Where it’s missing more sophisticated constructs, I’ve generally been able to derive what I want from basic building blocks or rather approachable FeatureScript. I’ll bet the models I work on aren’t as elaborate as yours.

I agree it has a long way to go before it gets anywhere near feature parity with Solidworks. But frankly some of what’s missing is bloat I don’t want (e.g. my motion simulations are pretty basic, I don’t touch plastic deformation or flow simulation, I tried the electronics design tools once and coming from an EE background found them a joke). Qualitatively, Solidworks kind of feels like they kept “tacking on” new stuff (at times compromising the integrity of the platform before going back and fixing it - most of the people I talk to avoid “SP0” releases like the plague), whereas Onshape feels nascent but more well thought out (not surprising since they started from a clean slate) and I’d say benefits from a more consistent UX. While I’ve still only done a few projects with it (so you’re right, I haven’t yet truly said “goodbye”), I find it offers a pleasant and intuitive design experience with more predictable productivity. For someone new to parametric design I would absolutely point them toward Onshape first before recommending Solidworks (although if they can afford the latter I’d strongly encourage them to try both). I won’t argue it’s superior, but I do think it’s more approachable.

One area where I did hit a major show-stopper was performance involving huge collections of pattern instances (here body patterning in Solidworks offered a significant edge, provided you know in advance how to correctly approach the problem). Instead of being told “open a ticket with your VAR” the nice support guys at OnShape quickly reproduced the issue, confirmed it as something needing improvement and presumably added it to their development queue (granted I’m still waiting for a fix). I didn’t need to fight off accusations about hardware validation, which graphics card is installed in my PC, conflicting software, etc.

There’s certainly a large swath of things Solidworks does better than Onshape, but they’re slowly narrowing the gap. e.g. Once upon a time I wouldn’t have touched it for anything to do with Sheet Metal, apparently now they’ve got that. I would have used it for my recent BabyForm2 project (reduce open-source “friction” by using a tool anyone can get at for free), except that I needed to be able to work while traveling / on plane / without internet (that being my main biggest complaint about their platform).

My general impression is if you know what you’re doing in Solidworks you’ll find it superior and think OnShape is a bit of a toy. But if you’re starting out and want an intuitive albeit smaller toolset that’s easy to get started with, Onshape fills that niche nicely.

As for bugginess, I describe some examples in my article and more can be found by searching around the Solidworks forums (I’ve posted a few myself). I will say the team seems to be doing a bit better on the stability front these days.

I don’t want to dive too much into specific examples here, but I will mention unreliable undo buffering is one that really killed me once, corrupting hours worth of work on a SLDPRT file. Maybe there was a deterministic explanation but it didn’t feel that way. I now find myself being a bit less liberal with CTRL+Z and CTRL+Y, and I keep a rolling set of previous point-in-time backups just in case. (From the perspective of a software engineer, that’s the sort of cognitive overhead a user simply shouldn’t have to deal with).

Hyperbole from other frustrated users isn’t hard to find in the Solidworks forums.

Sorry if I come across as insulting software you’re passionate about. These are just my views from my own experience :-). I’d love to hear about where you find OnShape sorely lacking.

I hate Solidworks with a passion. I went out for a competitive quote through another VAR and Solidworks removed all discounts previously offered to me and went full price. They claimed to be “shocked and disappointed” I’d go out for competitive bid.

That said, I can’t see myself going to OnShape or Fusion 360. Some of the functionality I need just isn’t there yet. In addition, all of your work is at their mercy. Great as long as they are in business. Once they shut down (and it can happen quickly) you are high and dry. Does anyone remember when Microsoft decided to shut down their DRM servers? Terabytes of hosted content suddenly worthless and irretrievable.

1 Like

I had been working with Catia and Solidworks. Recently I’ve been working more with Fusion 360 and even though it’s a bit clunky to use at first but just about everything I need is there. The ability to directly modify STEP and IGS files (move holes delete fillets etc.) is a plus for me.

A big bonus for me is being able to generate CAM tool paths with the native solid. No more errors because the mesh isn’t fine enough in the STL.

Haven’t used the print tools yet but they do have some support alternatives people can try.

Fusion may be the most powerful “free to hobbyist/small business” CAD CAM software out currently.

1 Like