Observations: The original Sparklepus model was not created with 3D printing in mind–it was only meant to look good for 3 shots in our short film ‘Happy Box’. The PerForm software evaluated that it would be fine to print it but the mane concerned me and I decided not to risk it. For this print-friendly version, I only had modify the hair pieces slightly (added for locks, reshaped the ‘roots’ to fully penetrate the ‘skin’) so that the entire model could be printed in three pieces.
Once I got the model into PerForm, printing was and clean up hassle free.
My one issue came during finishing: with the clear resin material, it’s difficult to see how good a job you’re doing. I wonder if finishing will become easier once the gray or a white material becomes available.
Anyway, considering ‘Sparklepus’ is my first 3D print, I’m thrilled with the results. The Form 1 is simply wonderful and amazing!
- Material: Clear Resin
- Amount used: 18.1 ml
- Print Time: 7 hours approx.
- Software: LightWave Modeler, 3D Coat, MeshLab, Photoshop (for waterslide decals), and PerForm 0.8.2.
- Paint: Montana Black NC.Formula, Juice and Punk Pink.
- _Decal: Experts-Choice No. 119 for inkjet Printers
- Finishing coat (not applied yet in pics above): Micro Sol Setting Solution (for bonding decals,) Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Matte