Two New Engineering Materials: Grey Pro and Rigid

There is a thread on the LT tanks here:

So far the feedback is that they are pretty similar for print quality. There are also some descriptions of the actual changes.

ok thanks, I somehow presumed the base material since it lasts longer might scatter the light differently, if theres no compromise, I don’t suppose I’ll use the regular tanks anymore!

There’s a fair bit of secret sauce included in the LT tanks so I can’t disclose which materials we’re using. @csauve, they do last considerably longer than Standard Tanks and can be used with each of our materials. You should check out this blog post for more information.

There are settings that prevent users from using Rigid and Grey Pro Resins in Standard Tanks. These materials will rapidly degrade the PDMS layer and are chemically incompatible with the Standard Tanks.

Same print quality, considerably longer lifetime, better printer detection, and improved spill protection :slight_smile:

I would almost think you would phase out the standard resin tank and just sell this one.

I imagine that will happen naturally as people stop buying the old ones.

I’d switch everything over to them entirely if they were as readily available as the other tanks.

2 Likes

A bit off topic, but please look into a West Coast distribution center. It’s a bit insane that everything has to be shipped from the East Coast.

There is a distributor on the West Coast. They are Source Graphics. Here’s their web site:

http://sourcegraphics.com/

2 Likes

Thanks for that source.

Makes shipping no more than two day ground for me.

1 Like

We have ordered a variety of things from Source Graphics and everything has gone well. I believe their prices are identical to purchasing directly from FormLabs, so there is no down side to Source Graphics.

thank you @jevoltin. Ships same day if ordered by 1:30pm PST.

Is there a full technical data sheet available for the rigid material yet?

Regarding the rigid resin, how is maintenance effected? Are there actually fibers in the resin, or particles, smaller than 190 micron? Can the resin still be filtered?

2 Likes

We have parts being independently tested and should have in-depth mechanical data soon. I’ll make sure to ping you as soon as that’s up.

1 Like

Your workflow with Rigid Resin doesn’t need to be any different from that with the other Standard Materials. The filler particles are quite small and won’t clog your filtering setup.

1 Like

@frew: How about surface finishing? It is possible to sand the rigid resin to get a smooth surface, or do the glass particles perhaps not respond well to sanding? What about painting? Thanks in advance!

Sanding Rigid Resin will be similar to sanding each of the Standard Materials. It will likewise take well to paint though using a primer is always a good idea with resins to ensure a strong bond.

I am working on the printing of scale models of cranes in scale 1:50 where some parts are less than 1 mm thick which resin is best suited for this without it breaking quickly the resin must be strong

mvg
dennis