Automated Printing/Solder system

We are working now since several month with the Form1+ device to produce those parts we already have produced from other 3D printer company.

Our first 10 printouts has amazing first feeling. But when we want to use it, we recognized some problems. First we thought it was a problem of learning with stereolithography 3D printer. But in case even Formlabs could not solve anything on their side, it was a problem of printer technology and printer.

Our idea was to have very flexible situation to develop creative and precise wanted parts in 48h as prototype.

Since the 3rd day we announced on Formlabs that the precision was not reached at all. We want to give the device back with refund. We are unhappy and have not found any solution just got answer

I understand what you want, but as Formlabs’ return policy
states:

“The item must be unused, undamaged, complete with all
parts and accessories, in the same condition you received it”

So we warn every one who want to buy here on formlabs. I think this thread will be closed by formlabs in a while. Anyway we have taken about 6 month of investigation with formlabs now without anyone could serve a result. This is trashed money of $5000.- if you don’t count the man-hour. No item matches exactly to the Preform dimensions. Even not if formlabs tried themself.

Before of every printout you need to 100% be sure that the platform is clean, not demaged, clean mirrors and work very precise with good light for mirrors. Then you need to good check the supports in Preform software and modify the original item if necessary several times to have usable results. After printout it is important to have another 8h time for cleaning and dry (we used UV light at the end of our investigation). For small parts you need minimum 5h from start until you can use it. This is ok. For huge parts it can take several days in case of re-developing parts and re-printing.

We are now back to other 3D printer developer with matching precision of 0.1mm. For “funny” parts, this printer may work. But it is not

easy to use and precise in microns

as the title page of Formlabs tells people.

I can tell you in my case I got very good quality results, much better than that. Though large objects have a lower dimensional accuracy, I haven’t tried adjusting the settings to improve that but it’s probably a good bet to say that it’s not necessarily going to give good results for larger parts that need to fit together. For my project I’ve got a large object made of 12 large pieces which didn’t really go together well but I’ve been able to make them work.

By dialing in your printer, using the tools mentioned here…

…you should be able to get pretty accurate parts.

I’m creating a prototype that completely snaps together, and it 's working as well as one can expect from printed parts.

The Form1+ isn’t perfect by a long shot, it has a significant learning curve to figure out how best to print your parts, but I challenge you to find a better device for the money. For instance, the parts you show in the Preform screenshot above with the ‘Distance 2mm’ annotation are, IMHO, being printed upside down to the optimal orientation.

I did not order Form1+ for developing a device in expensive way. I read “easy to use and 200microns precision” on main page. The device is NOT Easy to use as title page tells people. It is a tool for developers on 3D printing issue. No chance to reach precision depending the original STL file. Formlabs is talking with us as debugger for problems. If we want to give the device back and I investigated hundrets of hours of turning objects around for next printout (Formlabs introduced several ideas on what to try next without success) then it should be allowed to get money back and give device back. It simple does not work as suggested. Pay the order and then read policy answer: if you open the parcel you are not allowed to return… then I see it as unusable contract I promise everyone to avoid.

I know it’s frustrating. I’ve definitely had my share of frustration as well with this printer (on my third one), but seriously, what are your alternatives? Take a deep breath, and try to ‘be the ball’ re: the print itself. How do you want to be printed? There is a zen you must reach in order to see the position best suited for every part you print. I know, blah, blah, and not much help when you’re pissed at the World. But since you’re stuck with a non-returnable printer, it might just be the best advice you’re gonna get.

1 Like

Did you create a thread with a misleading title so that we would all read your story again? It’s a pretty small group here, I think most of us are familiar with your case. I know you are frustrated but I think you should be dealing with Formlabs directly at this point.

4 Likes

People need to know that they will trash money with formlabs. That is the end of the story they gave us as best solution.

That’s simply not true.

I’m happy with my printer. I knew the limitations and accept it.

This topic is now unlisted. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.