Anyone Actually using a Form 3 printer?

Bit late in the day but Simply Rhino had a free Formlabs event with Formlabs yesterday in London at the Goldsmiths Centre.

Got to see the machine (it was not running) but more importantly had a chance to look at F2 vs F3 print quality on clear resin as that was what I was interested in. The edges are much sharper and more “digital” so curved surfaces may seem more stepped. A lot of discussion about the peal strength. It is reportedly 70% lower than the F2. Good news to me as a lot of our parts have membranes of about 110 to 250 microns!. They work on the F2 but we have engineered a work around.

There were two of us at the event that have postponed purchasing because of lack of detailed evidence on the performance. Yes we are both very conservative and were prepared to let the USD500 discount go.

Luckily Simply Rhino (London) will possibly have their demo machine within two weeks and they have invited me to a demo at there site for a performance test,

We design and produce tiny prototypes having M1.6 threads that we just chase out with a m1.6 tap. Our typical wall thickness on our products is in the 300microns range. We do machine these parts regulary on our micro 4 axis cnc machine, but the Form 2 allows us to quickly test a concept in about 15 hours.

I am 80% sold but I am sure will be 100% sold after a couple of trials.

Mark_Harrison has done a brilliant unboxing article. Thanks there.

So if you are London based Joe look up Simply Rhino

ATB Bill

2 Likes