Z-banding

Any thoughts on how to improve Z-banding on this brand new (Amazon) Form 1+?

This happens at the same level on all prints.

Prints appear to be good otherwise.

What resin are you using?
What Z stepping are the prints printed at?
Can you post up pics of the preform layout.
The butterflies look good. The noticeable ring on the supports is supposed to be there. All supports will have that and any model printed without supports will have that.
It looks like you printed your part without supports. How high above the base is the large band?
What version of Preform are you using?

1 Like

What resin are you using?

pro3dure GR10

What Z stepping are the prints printed at?

50 micron, Clear v3 settings

Can you post up pics of the preform layout.

The butterflies look good. The noticeable ring on the supports is supposed to be there. All supports will have that and any model printed without supports will have that.

It looks like you printed your part without supports. How high above the base is the large band?

4.6mm above part base and build plate

What version of Preform are you using?

2.3.3 OpenFL

I didn’t think it was FL resin. Looks cool. Does it have special properties?
… and a quick google search for the win, yes it does…

The main band is you are talking about is normal. Unless you create a custom profile that limits the multi-pass layers you will have to modify the model or sand it smooth.

With open FL you can change the number of layers that see compression and overexposure. Clear V3 is actually a built in profile and is not modifiable. All Open FL has is clear 02 at 100 microns as far as I know. Haven’t looked at the WiKi in a while though.

There are other issues with printing without supports though. First is the lack of control on the overall part height. Each machine, tray, and build platform have different close heights. The supports take up this play and allow for accurate parts.

I would always print with supports for small precision parts. Just manually place them on the flat base and double check that the lowest point is supported.

Try snugging up the build plate. Tilt X and Y axes by about 30 degrees and see how it goes with supports.

Yes, biocompatible and high elongation while maintaining the stiffness and strength properties of FL Clear. It also comes in 2 dozens colors and they will color match pantone. It’s more expensive than FL resin though, about $275 a liter.

Will try with supports. Printing on the bed is enticing because I need that face to be perfectly flat anyway, and the rest of the geometry seems to be very conducive to SLA in this orientation. But then again this is day one with an SLA printer for me!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.