Reduce support density and point size on the Butterfly Clip demo

Printed the butterfly clip as my first (test) print and noticed it seems to be using way way too much support.

I know it’s meant to work out of the box and be as little failure prone as possible, but it might make sense to optimize the supports a bit so people starting out have an easier time removing the supports. I might be wrong on this, but at a glance, i’d say it would print just fine with maybe half the supports currently used. It might do with a slightly smaller point size as well, so there’s less damage to the bottom surface.

You’re going to notice as the PDMS ages you need more supports and larger touch points. Peeling is easy when the PDMS is super fresh.

I’m fully aware of that.
But people usually print the demo butterfly on a fresh (new) vat :wink:

Yea mostly, but it’s one of FormLabs test prints when you have trouble so they need to be sure it is an easy print for the system. “Does your butterfly clip print? Yes? So the problem is YOUR model. Would you like us to re-orient that for you?” haha.

Eugh. Didn’t realize they use that for debugging.
Not sure how a flat object with almost no round surfaces, minimal surface area and no surface detail can aid in debugging, but hey, maybe it’s just me (again) :smiley:

I know! RIght?! There’s like zero chance of failure unless something very extreme is wrong. They thought that through.

2 Likes

I’ve been printing Clear resin with minimum support density and minimum point size at 0.1, no problem. And it’s a lot easier to separate the print from the supports. They pretty much break away, I rarely need to use the cutters. These prop guards are printed this way. They’re about 100mm diameter and I printed them tilted at about 45º.

1 Like

Cool.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.