Print Quality Issue with Black Resin

For anyone interested: I had a long and helpful conversation with a couple Formlabs employees late last week in regards to my Form 3 and 3L preorder. I highlighted this thread, along with @Ante_Vukorepa’s PoisedWhale reporting for duty and @TravisRogersprint with fine holes. I know Formlabs is working hard to tune print quality, but I think they could do more to make that effort visible in the forums. I suggested they reach out to you guys (along with others who are graciously volunteering their time, resin, equipment, etc. to produce all these test prints), work with you to recreate and diagnose the issues you’re seeing, and push out updates targeting improvements, with the ultimate goal of helping you achieve better results.

I’m a little nervous since based on what I’ve seen here, the Form 3 does not appear to be unequivocally better than a Form 2, and it looks like there may have been some regressions. I would like nothing better than to see you guys reprinting these tests on an updated Preform / firmware with perfect results. I asked them to HOLD my order in the meantime.

I don’t blame people who are frustrated; I agree the issues being encountered should have been detected and corrected before it shipped.

I do think it’s clear they invested a ton of improvement into the hardware platform in the Form 3 and I feel like it ought to be capable of exceeding what came before - I’m hopeful they can shake out the glitches, and I’m grateful to you guys for bearing through and churning out all those tests.

1 Like