Thanks indeed for your thoughts! Many things mirror my own experiences, for example our Form 3 also hung on “initalizing printer”,
I do really hope that future PreForm and Firmware releases will take full advantage of the new peel process, higher laser power etc. - because right now, the speed and the auto-supports are a bit underwhelming.
Now here’s a non-engineering / non-functional, hollow, super-tiny part.
Printed at 100 um.
Check out the top of that main tower:
Also this tree:
The resolution / resolving power is definitely there, even though the edges and textures are a bit on the soft side.
I’ve noticed grey comes out almost NOT in green state and requires very little post curing, so this might be just an overcuring issue.
I’m not 100% convinced i’d get the same result from Form2, especially not with as little support. This was with 0.80 support density, 0.3mm touch points, only on the bottom of the castle, printed very slightly angled.
The model in question was hollow, 1mm thick shell.
You can find it here if you want to print and compare:
This was fixed in firmware 1.3.4.
Unfortunately, the LCD and the formlabs logo (front light indicator) still stay on - would be nice if those timed out and blanked in idle mode. I’m not sure, however, if it’s possible to blank the display and turn off its backlight, but leave the digitizer on so Form 3 can be ”woken up” via touch. It normally is on most displays, but who knows ¯_(ツ)_/¯
That model’s not quite a perfect test, though.
If printed on the platform, there’s a lot of overhangs (good for testing the peel, not so much for other aspects of the quality). If printed angled, you’re bound to get separation issues at thicker layer heights (even with a perfect resin profile).
Ideally, i’d like to reprint some test prisms with holes that we used to test the Form1+ and Form2 with quite a while ago, but for some reason, i can’t find the model anymore…
Edit: That test object is also a nightmare to wash, thanks to all the nooks and crannies.
the “3DMON” text is much clearer on the 100um print, suggesting 50um setting is overexposing more
the smaller rounded pillar is thinner at the bottom than it should be, then thickens by about 0.1-0.2mm - not sure if this is a peel issue, a compression issue (this was printed directly on the platform)
prints took 1h30m at 50um, 0h50m at 100um
perpendicular is worse than parallel - the movement ratio of X to exposure/Y galvo motion might need adjusting
there’s still slight overexposure everywhere, and those smallest slits should be cleaner, even though they aren’t THAT bad right now
Anything special you’re doing or maybe your printer is a lucky one?
Nothing special, apart from a very thorough rinse (before and after 15 minutes of Wash). There was a lot of resin stuck in all the crevices and in between the various protrusions, even after the Wash cycle.
Yeah I didn’t realize just how much resin it would take until I printed it out. I suspect hollowing it would save the bulk of it. It’s recommended in an official Formlabs Whitepaper.
I use the Form Wash for 10m on my parts which I’d think gives it a pretty thorough rinse btw, so not sure that would explain the results. I have definitely found that a thorough wash is far more important than a thorough post-cure for part quality.
I usually do 15m for smaller parts, up to 20m for larger, although with not-exactly-fresh IPA that i’ve also recycled once already. I also do a manual bottle-rinse before and after.
For larger parts or parts with lots of cavities i sometimes do an additional rinse with an airbrush filled with IPA.
Interesting thing to note is that prints out of Form 3 practically don’t need a post-cure after a wash and a good drying. At least with the gray resin. This seems like a good indicator there’s some overexposure going on there…
My fault, i left the touch point size at 0.3mm from a previous print and forgot to change it. The test object just cleanly ripped off the supports during the print.
Gonna clean things up and redo.
By the way, it looks from the design the object was designed to be printed directly on the platform, but i can’t see how that would work (or at least work well) as that will create a huge ass suction cup.
It needs to either be slanted, or there have to be holes punched out the sides (like the ones the raft has).