NASA now thinks Electromagnetic Waves push

Have the world’s greatest minds finally caught up to me? Haha.
[Impossible EM Drive Works][1]

My laser light and their microwaves are all just different frequencies of Electromagnetic waves…
Continuing the discussion from The Attack of the Giant Flake:

@Ante_Vukorepa too because you said it was impossible :smiley: on original thread “Attack of the Giant Flakes” that is now locked.

I thought I would share the news link with those interested.
[1]: New Test Suggests NASA's "Impossible" EM Drive Will Work In Space

Oh god, not the emDrive again…

That bunkus has been doing the rounds since 2000. or thereabouts.
Every now and then, someone who’s not a total nutcase decides to give it a spin, and the nutso crowd (helped by the media) goes wild. There appears to be some kernel of viability in it, though, but the theories that spawned it are completely bogus.

Apparently, the latest ideas revolve around it being some form of a warp (alcubierre) drive… :smirk:

The jury is still out there, but the whole thing might eventually go down the drain solely because no one sane wants to go near it, just because of all the nutcase baggage it’s been dragging over the past decade.

Anyways, emDrive does not - apparently - work like that, but yes, photons can impart momentum.
But not really under the conditions you’ve described and not in that way.

Well I wasn’t going to debate it, I just wanted to share. I completely agree they could never scale it up into a drive system.

Forgot a disclaimer…

DISCLAIMER: I am not a physicist.

With that out of the way… Like someone bright once said - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And so far, all the papers were quite murky waters (to say the least). The early tests were measuring thrust with the cavity connected physically to the magnetron, Chinese experiments had the forces apparently going the completely opposite way from everyone else (and measured ridiculously high - like, error-indicating - thrust/watt ratios), NASA experiments used a vacuum chamber, but during the test, there wasn’t even a partial vacuum there (it was at ambient pressure) etc.

To top it off, the NASA team/department that did the latest round of experiments actually does almost exclusively that - they toy around and test ideas that are “out there”. They aren’t any “normal” or “regular” department within the NASA. They fool around with weird stuff.

There’s still a glimmer of hope there might be something to it, but even if there is, like you’ve said, chances it’s scalable are very slim.

While we’re totally off topic (sorry) here’s another fun read:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.