How can I get away from this?

Hello,
I am new user for 3D printing.
After model has been grow I can see the big unaligned in the middle of part.
How can I get awya from this?
Could you anyone plesase help me to figure out this?

I recommend taking a look at this link. Orienting the model differently should help minimize the stress and strain of the peel during a build. Orienting you model
If the part is more for aesthetics I’d suggest some sanding and a laquer.

2 Likes

The problem is due to orientation. I bet you also have a FDM 3D printer. With extrusion printers, the better “aligned” the model is with the build platform, the better it will print. The opposite is usually true with the Form printer. Large flat areas require more force to break free of the bottom of the resin tank, which puts more stress on the print and on the printer’s mechanics, which can result in these kinds of defects.

Let PreForm orient the model for you and try printing it that way instead of aligning flat to the build plate.

2 Likes

Thanks for your recomendation. And this is from my Form2 printer not a FDM. What about if I print small part like ring then, should I be ok to grow straight?

I know this is from a Form printer. I was thinking your decision to orient the part flat on the build plate was because you had previous experience with FDM, where that orientation is desirable.

With the Form printer, you will get the worst results from objects with large flat surfaces oriented parallel to the build plate because that maximizes the force required to peel the model after each layer is printed.

My recommendation is that you wait until you have more experience with the printer before you try to experiment with choosing your own orientations. No matter the size of the object, let PreForm orient it for you.

Try printing a ring vertically like the Formlabs Castable sample. minimal contact with the build plate at any given time is what is ideal.

You have to position you model so that the bottom edge of the part is at least 5mm from the base ( and build platform) or more. That should do the trick. Orientation does not matter.

Orientation is extremely important. It was more important with the Form1 and the Form1+ but it still has an effect on the potential success of a print.

From what I can see, in this particular case OP wants try to get rid of the “misalignment” mark on the bottom half of the part. First hundred layers are always overly compressed so that a model sticks to a build platform. The line on the model denotes where this stops and the layers that go thereafter are not compressed as much as the first ones. Usually it is on 5-6mm mark from the build platform. The line will still present as long as the model is located close to the base, no matter how the model is oriented.

1 Like

As Konstantin_Dani has said. Raise your part to more than 4.5 mm off the build platform.
That is the height required by our printer to avoid that line.

We routinely print without the “preferred” orientation. Sometimes it is better for our needs.
Although the larger the part the more likely it will affect the print due to the stresses.

Your part looks to be around the limit for good results printing flat though.

Hello
I’m new to the forum, and I am waiting for the arrival of my Form 2. As I still have a few weeks for the arrival of the order, I’m catching up :slight_smile:

@keith_sparks I read your answer, and so I understand, to avoid this problem I have to lift the piece 4,5mm off the build platform.
OK, I’m testing the software Preform (V 2.5.0), but I do not see the option where I can specify the distance between the printing element and the platform?
Could you tell me how it’s done? … Or if I misunderstand :slight_smile:

Best regards.

If you go into supports and select Advanced you can alter the base thickness & height above base.

1 Like

In the latest version of preform/firmware there’s some updates that sound like they could fix that issue, haven’t tested though.

1 Like

Some people beat me to it. But under advance in the support tab, you can specify height above base.

On our machine it is 4.5mm. I would measure yours to be safe. Also it can move a small amount.

We usually model our own supports as it works better for our uses. Small mechanical parts.

1 Like

Thanks!

I had not seen this option … now I have tried;-)

Best regards.