High Magnification Images of 3D Print

Hi guys,

My prints are for work and the designs are proprietary; however I still wanted to share some microscopic views of the prints.  I took the images using my employer’s Keyance VHX-2000 digital microscope.

1.) At a low magnification level (ie: 20X magnification) it APPEARS that the grain of the material is vertical. That’s really strange since the layers are horizontal. -> Image_00.jpg

2.) Increasing to 100x magnification near an “arch” generated for supports -> Image_01.jpg

3.) The Keyance microscope takes multiple images and varying distances to generate a 3D model. -> Image_02.jpg

4.) The vertical sections of the support are interesting… You see these layers about every 0.75mm or so. I don’t really know why, but it does… Also, if seems like after about 75mm layers or so, it has the potential to get joggled out of position or something. This seems to be specific to the supports and doesn’t happen to the actual printed parts (I don’t think). -> Image_03.jpg, Image_04.jpg, Image_05.jpg

5.) If you look at Image_00.jpg, I zoomed in to the slope between the touch points (? I guess they’re called). This area is interesting later on… -> Image_06.jpg

6.) The material seems to be not rated to a high temperature, but… I wanted to check. So I put it in thermal shock. The thermal shock equipment moves the parts between an upper chamber at 150°C to the lower chamber at -40°C. This is pretty normal for validation in the automotive industry. I only did 48 cycles which is nothing – typically, we do 1060 cycles for the “real deal” --> Image_07.jpg  (Note, sorry it is tilting the image of the thermal shock oven. It should be vertical)

7.) The results? The material actually did pretty well!!! It yellowed, but that’s about it. --> Image_08.jpg

8.) The layer-to-layer shapes are the same after thermal shock. I thought they might lose their definition but that seems to not be the case. -> Image_09.jpg, Image_10.jpg

9.) The slope between the two touch points described in #5, I changed the orientation of the part to look from the top down. Ah!! There are those layers!! -> Image_11.jpg, Image_12.jpg, Image_13.jpg

Hi David, these are fascinating images, they really do give a deeper insight into the material we’re printing with, thank you so much for sharing them : )

Awesome posts

I wonder what causes that horizontal misalignment of the layers. It may be that the part sticks to the PDMS too much, gets bent slightly by the peel movement and doesn’t spring back into place in time. Slowing down the peel process may help? Only form labs would know.

I love the material even more! Thank you!

1 Like