Form 3 Unboxing and First Impressions!

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in updates!
Here are a few pictures and I added some close up comparisons of clear in my original post so scroll up and take a look!

!!

The sphere is about 30cm in diameter and was printed with 50um layers which is a layer height that is still currently in beta. We thought this piece was interesting because you can see very small layer lines and you can also see very small lines that appear to be caused by the stepping of the laser carriage. This part was unfinished and uncured at the time. There appears to be some extra material cured around the support marks which is very common on the Form 2. A very small amount of sanding and polishing had this part looking perfect!

This next piece is very small as evidenced by the supports. It looks great in person and this picture was taken under the inspection scope at about 30x magnification.

So far, the Form 3 has been running great! We have had some trouble removing parts from the platform and a few software glitches but we have been very pleased with the results.

It is also worth noting that the Form 3 is very quiet in operation and the light at the top of the machine is very useful. It glows white during normal printing and flashes to get your attention when it is not happy:)

More to come.
Mark

Absolutely love this, thank you for the photos. It’s odd that review units weren’t sent out earlier or something to give people time to hype the machine upon launch. I watched DJI launch their new FPV system yesterday and immediately there were tons of reviews, photos, opinions, etc. from a lot of people who were given review units. Formlabs! You have an amazing product, the word needs to be spread more. Again thanks for sharing especially about the light … that’s 100% new information to me, look forward to future posts.

@gjgomes, were you on the “designated field tester” list?

I ordered mine on April 4th and I received a Clay Siegert email now stating mine won’t arrive until Sept 6th.

Hi Mark
Love the detail nice and sharp. What is the distance between the stepped features on your printed model under 30x mag?. The clarity is impressive also

I would like Formlabs to chime in on “open mode” on the F3…?

@da40flyer, I suppose I can expect to get a similar email from Formlabs next week. Kind of interesting that none of the 3 different printers currently offered by Formlabs are shipping…

Hey there!

Open Mode is absolutely coming but nothing to talk about at this time. More details coming soon. :slight_smile:

Form 3 Resin Availability Update

Thats good to know - any idea of how long before its likely to be implemented?

That’s good to know. Does “similar in scope” mean that Castable Wax will not be available as print profile, as seen in How open is open mode on Form 2??

Do the contact points look identical when you view them in the slicer? Do you think the tips are smaller because the support structures are printed “more accurately”, or do you think there’s some software/firmware trick going on?

Ah, I was concerned about artifacts stepping might produce. I assume those are the less dense lines seen on the sphere, perpendicular to the layer lines. Hard to tell, but it looks like the shifting isn’t exactly uniform - is that correct? Does it occur on other layer heights as well (or to varying degrees)? The lines look pretty feint - any estimate on how proud the “worst case” steps are?

That’s another question I posed before buying. Could you elaborate on your experience so far removing failed prints? Is it tough to do without damaging the flexible membrane? Is the software patch to union failure areas out yet (or do you think it will help when it is)?

The supports look the same in Preform. I don’t want to speculate too much on why they came out smaller until I have more experience with the printer.

We have done a small comparison video from the Form2 to the Form3 if you want to check it out here.

Good demo but comes across like the same videos Formlabs puts out to sell the form 3 product & not a actual end user review. I follow this discussion for REAL end users reviews of the form 3.

Not even seeing many write ups… much less videos? Why is everyone too quiet?

100% agree. Such a large product and not one big media review that I’ve seen. That’s pathetic at best.

Como dice Mouriño, porque…?
Porque aun no hemos visto ningun video real de la f3 trabajando???

Well I guess the reviews speak for them self’s lol.

Not sure if folks seen one of the first reviews, from Make Magazine.

Have seen this review and it is a great one. Sadly it is one of very few that shows a fairly comprehensive view of the new printer. Sadly this needs to be in the hands of more industry professionals to get the word out and for sure more consumers so they can get to printing.

This is a decent review but again, its just a feature review of all the things we already know. I would like to see a review from a actual daily user of the form 3 machine producing parts and would be even better if that user came from using a form 2 printing daily. Giving the machine to a user just because of followers to get views is… to me at least… not a good review. They just highlight all the bells and whistles & do not know the frustrations of printing with previous versions of the machine & how this version is actually better. I’m sure as soon as people actually receive there form 3 …we will see some good real end users reviews with notable comparisons between the 2 machines.