Form 1+ and USB 3.0 ports

I have 2 Macbook Pros one 2007 17" and one brand new 15" Retina I got 3 days ago.

When I plug the USB cable from the Form 1+ into the 2007 MacBook Pro which has a USB 2.0 connection everything is working fine. When I plug the USB cable from the Form 1+ into the USB 2.0 Hub connected to a Thunderbolt Display which is then connected to the brand-new MacBook Pro 15" Retina everything is working fine.

When I plug the USB cable from the Form 1+ directly into the new MacbooK 15" Retina the orange tool (that shows if a printer is connected or not) on the left hand side of Preform flickers from the symbol no printer connected to printer connected back to no printer connected and then Preform crashes.

Anyone else having an issue with USB 3.0 connections?

Simon

I connect my Form1+ to a USB3.0 port on a PC and its working fine for me.

Have you raised a ticket?

It has been resolved.

It turns out that because I have the printer on a work bench on wheels, so I can move it to an adjoining room and can close the door when it is printing, I use a very long USB cable (3 metres) to connect it. If I use this USB cable to connect it, it works for the USB 2.0 but not USB 3.0. But if I connect to the Macbook Pro Retina directly using the Form 1+ cable provided it works with the MacbookPro retina.

So it is the cable, it has something to do with length and power supplied by USB Vs USB 3.0.

Yes, I was looking into putting my Form 1+ downstairs below my office and found the following information helpful:

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

This is where I learned:

1. There are limitations to USB 2.0 and 3.0 cables, therefore one cannot simply connect multiples cables together past these limits
  2. Self-powered USB hubs or active (repeater) cables (both of which have their own limitations) can be used to overcome the limitations of regular individual USB 2.0 and 3.0 cables.

Here are their notes on USB cable length limitations:

Maximum length of USB 2.0 cable:
“The 2.0 specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices (Full Speed or Hi-Speed) to 5 meters (or about 16 feet and 5 inches). In other words, you cannot just connect a bunch of extension cables together (like taking a 6 foot cord and extending it with 4 other 6 foot extension cords) and run them 30 feet to another room. However, you can connect a 6 foot cable with a 10 foot extension cable for a total of 16 feet, which is below the maximum cable length for USB 2.0.”

Maximum length of USB 3.0 / USB 3.1 cable:
“The 3.0/3.1 specification does not specify a maximum cable length between USB 3.0/3.1 devices (SuperSpeed or SuperSpeed+), but there is a recommended length of 3 meters (or about 9 feet and 10 inches). However, the biggest limitation to the length of the cable is the quality of the cable. Results may vary, but with a high quality cable you should be able to go beyond 3 meters. However, to ensure you achieve the best results possible, use an active cable when going more than 10 feet (3 meters).”