Big Announcement May8th!?

If they devise a method to reduce the amount of resin that the print is submerged into then that will help general print results. I think continuous printing like Carbon3D would require them to license that patent from them and I don’t think that’s likely since Carbon3D is trying to sell their printer for way more than Formlabs

I dunno but I can’t wait.

1 Like

To my eyes, the video clearly shows a clear resin part in an agitated IPA bath. At worst, the revolutionary new advance will be a pump/stirrer add-on for the existing IPA tanks, and at best it’ll be a new tank, possibly designed to accept the build platform which you will then pop out of the F2 right into the IPA and then pry off the clean print with no sticky steps in between.

1 Like

Probably an ultrasonic cleaner, working without IPA, or recycling it at least.
But a UV curing chamber will be great too!

Which video?

Just seen this article and wondered if this is it (see the picture of man leaning over a tank)

Huh, you’re right, the video doesn’t appear to be on FL’s website, only their Facebook page:

I believe you guys are correct. Looks like an IPA wash/finish station.

Yea I got the email but in Outlook and by default doesn’t play the video (or animated gif). Forwarding it to my gmail made the video come alive! And I do believe it is some sort of a agitation/wash station as well. Video looks like 2 products in IPA. But only time will tell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you think they would still use IPA? That other article above mentioned a proprietary solution of detergents and agitation for their machines. I gotta admit, that PostPrcoessing company looks pretty badass! How nice would it be to never have to remove a support, and possibly eliminate sanding altogether?

Yeah I didn’t mean IPA specifically. I meant to write solution. At least with the F2 I think supports are here to stay and unfortunately so is sanding. But a better “solution bath” is a very good idea.

A resin that can remove supports with water will be awesome! No more work with IPA!

I’m going to be royally pissed if they come out with a new printer that doesn’t require supports after I just bought a Form 2 a couple of months ago.

Not going to happen with SLA.

Only SLS can go without support material.

Based on the latest picture I saw, it is a chamber, looks like one side had a mirror. Maybe the door was open to confuse us. I am with guessing a post curing chamber. They have needed to release one for a long time. The post with what looked like a liquid moving is interesting after seeing the latest picture. Maybe it is liquid filled.

I gather this is going to come with new resin announcements that need very precise post curing.

1 Like

Loving all the speculation here.

Thanks @yoderkl for digging up that “isn’t just about stereolithography” tidbit. I recalled reading it but couldn’t find the source.

Place my chips on a new wash station May 8 at RAPID + TCT, and a sneak peek at a new printer prototype June 6 at FUSE. Maybe also an acquisition or partnership or something.

I know this is all speculation, but I agree, I am having fun playing around with ideas! Quick question for you @rkagerer, if FormLabs would be providing a sneak peak at a new printer prototype (at Fuse or wherever), do you think they would stick with SLA, or venture into DLP? Is there such thing as multiple laser in an SLA machine, is that even a possibility? Just having fun.

So what, a combined UV chamber / IPA / Ultrasonic cleaner?
Where do I order? :smiley:

Your guess is as good as mine. My secret craving is for something resembling a Polyjet (like the NexD1 was supposed to be) with a larger build area. But I don’t think it’s likely.

@brainglow: Looks like you can order here https://formlabs.com/store/us/form-2/buy-accessories/?FH-WA-01=1&FH-CU-01=1

I’m working together with the swedish distributor and I’m first in line when they get their units! :slight_smile:

1 Like