Orthodontic retainer

I’m considering a 3D printer to make models of my patients teeth for retainers. I have a dental scanner and I have had some people who know a lot more than me suggest that the Form 1+ printer would be the best printer for this application. I am looking for someone on this forum to print a test model for me so that I can evaluate quality, accuracy, time and materials cost. I know FormLabs will do this for free but I am on a waiting list and I’d like to get this going. I’m happy to compensate the person who does this for me for their time and materials. Please let me know

My printer is sitting idle. If you send me a model I will get you a price and could print within 10 minutes.

Thanks Josh. I was contacted by private message by another dentist who is doing some research that will answer a lot of my questions so he is making one for me. Thanks for the offer

No problem. Good luck, I think you will be happy with the results.

Michael. Please let us know how it turns out. I am waiting for my printer to return from Formlabs and will also be trying some dental models .

Will do. Based on what I’ve heard I’m expecting to see a very nice model. I’m interested to see if I can make a resin based retainer on a resin based model without them bonding to eachother

1 Like

Micheal. We had a test case scanned with a 3Shape Trios and printed the upper and lower on 0.1. I am very happy with the results so far. We used a Ministar to make a retainer over the printed model as well as on a plaster model (alginate impression) . The patient preferred the retainer that was made on the printed model, it fits better than the one on the plaster model. I would not use resin directly on the resin model to create a retainer, the problem is the surface tension on the resin model prevent your conventional sealer to form a thin separation layer. Maybe use thin foil that you pull over the model and then use resin or you will have to search for a different separating medium. I will post some photo’s later in the week.

Great, thanks for the info. It sounds like printing my own models in-house will be cost prohibitive right now. I expect in a few years I will be able to print models at my price point, which is $10 per model. My current labs charge anywhere from $8-15 per model

Do you have an estimate of what your materials costs were for the model? I’m also encouraged that the 0.1 was fine enough for a Ministar retainer., as that should cut back on print time

The material cost will be between $6 to $9 per model but I try to use as little resin possible by hollowing or digital trimming (using meshmixer). This is how they came out

1 Like

Thanx for these pictures.
I don’t understand why you manage a space between the model and the base
In my opinion, printing model is an unnecessary waste of time, material and money (even if I must concede hollowing is a good idea).
Why not directly print retainers or appliances ?
I already found a solution for metal printing through mobile prosthesis engineering. But there is a matter of biocompatibility with resin material. I think formlabs should work this way.
Anyone tried to print appliance for indirect bonding technique ?

Can you solder on this material? Is it biocompatible? Thanks

No you can’t and its not biocmpatible

What is the accuracy of a model; I want to use to model dental work (crowns bridge) now uses plaster (expansion GYPSUM 0.6%)

i am george …dental surgeon doing dental aligners using a object 3 d printer .it is around 40000 usd and can print only max 20 cast at a time .also need support and materials …this is interesting with form lans for 16 at a time …how we can design the support like a mesh in the picture …planning to buy a form 2

dr george

1 Like

Are those printed models tinted blue or is that lighting?

just got form 2 and printing the dental models …

Hello everyone here, Can anyone recommend me any Dental Clinic or Orthodontist which do braces at affordable yet cheap price? And is it possible for me to do upper teeth braces only? Nd to put it on badly. Your help are much appreciated. Thanks!

We are trying to form acrylic retainers onto models printed on the from 2.
The acrylic seems to be going through the separator that we use on other 3d printed models.
Any suggestions on types of separator?
Also does the actual dental material make this any easier?

Yes, I can electrosolder on the material, but even the dental material is not biocompatible if you overheat it, and it is also only approved for temporary application in the mouth, not long-term. My F1+ and F2 are very actively being used in my practice, but for the current intended purposes. I am sure that there will continue to be progress, and I am looking forward to that. I like the reality that I can be near the cutting edge without the massive investment that just might overnight be worthless, due to progress.