Hi there
here some new prints:
Nautilus about 50 cm long
water bear 45 cm long
dark-winged fungus gnat 40cm wingspan
killer shrimp 40cm
foto 1 - left to right: moss mite 9 cm, springtail 9 cm, woodlouse 9 cm
foto 2 - left to right: Wolf spider 9 cm, fly larvae 10 cm, roundworm 12 cm
printed on form2 - a wonderful printer. Its fun to work with this great tool.

26 Likes

Those are incredible. You should post some of your techniques because you did an excellent job coloring and post-processing everything.

Holy expletive. More information please.

2 Likes

Wow! very good, this is some of the best printing and finishing work I have seen, especially the small scale.
Mike
Scout Design & MFG

Wow, these are so cool! I’d also love to hear more about the finishing and painting for these. Excellent work!

@KlausLeitl These are great! Do you still use the same process as you did a couple of years ago? Are you still working with a Form 1+?

1 Like

amazing
:slight_smile:

Wow. Very realistic! Are the spines on the legs printed too? or Photoshopped? Really nice work!

@ Frew: The workflow is just the same as in CraigBroadys link: https://formlabs.com/blog/incredible-insects-3d-printed-formlabs/
Only the Nautilus was a little mot complex because I had to scan the shell. The working steps are like this:
1.- 3D-scan the original shell with Autodesk ReMake (taking a lot of photos)
2.- Import the scanned shell into Netfabb basic
3.- scaling the body to the proper size (netfabb measure tools are better then Meshmixer measure tools (I use a calliper to measure the original shell)
4.- export as new .stl-file
5.- Import scanned shell to zBrush (I think I scaled it down to 10%)
6.- Modeling Nautilus in zBrush using the scanned shell and hope it fits well
7.- Exporting .stl-File of the body
8.- Meshmixer import
9.- slicing into two parts because the body is too large for one print
10.- hollowing the model in meshmixer - do not forget to make some holes
11.- Printing the model with preform on form 2 - 0,1 mm resolution
12.- remove supports and UV-curing for one or two hours
13.- glue the two parts together. epoxy 2K and “magic sculp”
14.- sanding where necessary
15.- drilling holes for the arms (the long thin white arms are made out of acrylic glass)
16.- fixing the body with magic sculp in the original shell (it suits perfect)
17.- fixing the thin arms in the prepared holes
18.- some more sanding
19.- covering the shell with plastic film - it should be save.
20.- painting with airbrush colours (schmincke artist colors http://www.schmincke.de/startseite.html?L=1) the thin arms with transparent white, the body with normal white and other colours.
21.- finishing the body with clear glossy finish
thats it - ready

@Alyce:
There is nothing special about the finishing. Just sanding where necessary and most important is painting. But I can´t explain how to paint you have to exercise it. It is often trail and error. It depends on the animals or object. That would be a book to write.

@CraigBroady:
Yes and Form2 (I wrote it in my first post)

@3DYeti:
Everything printed except the long thin tentacles of Nautilus, the green plant where the water bear is sitting and the hairs on the legs of the killer shrimps. these hairs are glued one by one.
In photoshop I just remove the supports I used to take the photos - or to soften the background and to do some color correction (I use artificial light).

Thanks for your comments
Caio
Klaus

7 Likes

can you put ruler or something near objects so I can have perception of size?

By far among the most amazing prints I’ve seen…incredible paint too. Amazing work!

1 Like