Did anyone else receive a Form1+ with a dead laser?

Not realizing that the laser should be seen even through the grey resin, I tried three prints resulting in empty build platforms rising majestically from uncured resin tanks before getting the joke. Is this a common problem? I have natch started a support ticket but I am assuming I will need to swap the machine.

Got the same problem,
For some reason there is no curing of the resin a all,
Platform rising out of the resin clean and untouched + no cured resin in the tank.

any solutions?

Sounds like a faulty laser to me.

#nowonmy3rdform1

If this would be the case, hope they can send a new laser, so I don’t have to pack-up the whole machine and send it back for repair.

Pieter, when did you receive your form1+? I got mine last week.

I did the diagnostic, surprise surprise, no laser. Waiting to hear back from customer support. Needless to say, what a bummer.

Got mine about 6months ago,
Had to order a new tank since it got clouded, this took about 1 month, installed it yesterday and now it doesn’t print anymore. maybe it’s a different problem, not sure.

bummer indeed

I’m also waiting for a reply from there customer support.

I’ve had my form1+ for 2 weeks now and so far so good, but my second replacement (which I got in April) was perfect for 4 weeks before it went, and I don’t think my 1st was was ever right - in both those instances it was the laser at fault.

This does not sound good.

You should certainly be in touch with our support team at support@formlabs.com. As some have pointed out, there were a series of early (Form 1) units that had issues with their laser performance — which we replaced — but new machines should certainly not be seeing the same issues.

Actually, after another week of no printing, your offer of taking it back, then checking to see if I was lying, then sending a new one back, seems lame. It’s not my fault that the laser was defective. I am so bummed out, I have been SO excited about making things with the form1+. But my customer experience has been really bad, and I have lost faith that the machine will work for me. A lot of this comes from reading this forum… If I wait another few weeks to get a new unit, will that work? Will it’s laser fail like other people’s?

So sad. I am returning the unit, having never printed anything at all. I hope you guys can get it together soon.

Sam at FormLabs support has endured my snarkiness with class and convinced me that my enthusiasm for this company is not misplaced. New printer on the way, old printer on the way back, and curses to the supplier who made all our lives miserable with bad diodes. Thanks Sam.

2 Likes

Hello People,

I did received today my Formlab printer 1+, and yea i have a dead laser, how much time did it take before the send a replacement laser or printer. I don’t get it, don’t the test the printer ? Greetings Wouter

Update
Laser was oke, did fix it with good support

Hello @Wouter_Verhoeven — open up a ticket with our support team and they’ll fix you up. They’ll probably also ask you to run a few quick tests as well.

All printers are fully tested prior to shipment, so it’s possible your machine was damaged in shipping. I’ve seen cases where it’s as simple as reconnecting the laser wire leads which have dislodged — but for other cases, your machine will have to be returned and replaced. Depending on how fast things are processed and your location, that can take a week or so.

Per request — this thread was closed because the question at hand was pertaining to a specific case and best answered in a separate thread (which you can find here).

Prior to that comment, the last note in this thread was some months ago, and in general, it’s best to start a new thread, so that all actors can be present, and we keep our topics of conversation clear.

This topic is now unlisted. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.