Can't print: error code 9001

OK so I finally received my Form 2 today.

I am trying to send my first print.

After several attempts (each taking over 20 minutes) of generating supports I got it to work without crashing. A couple hours later I am ready to print.

I sent it to the printer and after waiting about 30 minutes and it failed without ever starting the print with the error code “9001”

Before I started, I had just updated the firmware to 1.6.

This is extremely frustrating, as it has been very time consuming and I can’t even get it to start printing. With no other software alternatives to use, I am at a loss what I can do to print the job. I purchased this printer because I thought the software was the most professional software for SLA/DLP type printers, but I am now stuck in the mud. I have a brand new Form 2 just sitting there waiting for some geometry I can’t even send it!

Note that if I tap the “Print Now” button nothing happens.

That part looks awesome. I would start with something very basic to troubleshoot. Print off something small. Verify that everything is functioning correctly. If you can dig up the FL butterflies I would print them.

Thanks! It is a 3D fractal.

Thanks for the advice, I wonder what the error code 9001 means though? I searched online and couldn’t find anything.

I can’t wait to see the printed model.

I have no idea what the error code is. I don’t believe I have seen that error code posted yet. I would open a support ticket and ask. Maybe one of the FL guys will shed some light on it before you get an answer in your ticket.

How many polys? Given how long it took to generate supports, and upload, I would say the problem is that your object is too big (not physical size but level of detail). “Fractal” makes me think it probably has a lot of detail. Any detail that is below the resolution of the printer that is just taking up space in the file, and if that’s the case, reducing the number of polys will probably fix things so it’ll print.

It is only 271k faces.

What is the point of being able to print high resolution if you can’t use a high resolution model?

If I decimate it any further I lose lots of detail that I want to be able to print. Otherwise I am better off with FDM at some point.

Thanks - I can’t wait to see it myself!

Meanwhile; here is an FDM print of it.

Even decimated, you’ll get more detail from the Form2 than FDM. By a long shot.

You should try something simple, like a small cube or something, or the FL butterfly models, and confirm the printer works at all. If it does, you can be more certain it’s the model itself that’s the problem. It looks like it has a lot of internal detail. PreForm is going to want to generate a lot of internal supports, that will be really hard to remove from the print. And your 271K faces probably increases significantly with the supports in place.

If you save the .FORM file, how big is it?

I’m sorry but I don’t agree - if I reduce the model any more I loose fine detail on the surface (they look like flowers) which are in-fact evident in the picture of the FDM print above.

I am printing something right now - so there is nothing wrong with the printer.

I don’t mind that the internal supports are not removable because I am trying to print a shell that will then be cast in metal - al the inside will be lost anyways.

The Form file is 726MB with the supports.

I have a feeling that 9001 is Out memory… 726MB is a huge print file file.

I don’t see why it would matter. It should not have to hold the entire g-code in memory to print. It only needs to load a slice at a time.

Further more, if thats the case, it would nice to give me an error before spending 30 minutes sending it to the printer.

And if that is the case, how am I supposed to find out what fits in memory - trial and error? Each attempt just in the software alone takes hours.

All those things could be true, but it’s a function of the implementation choices FL made. Keeping the file in DRAM may offer some performance benefits over Flash, for example. But I do agree, PreForm should know if the file is too big for the printer and tell you before making you waste time sending it to the printer…

May be a function of your decimation choices. The FDM print doesn’t look very good to me. Hard to understand how you could give up enough resolution on the Form print that it’d look worse.

Try splitting the sphere in two and printing the halves separately. You could easily add some alignment pins and pockets on the internal faces to aid in sticking the pieces together, and you can glue with some liquid resin and the sun. Just smear some on the mating surfaces, stick them together and hold it in the sunlight for a few minutes. The seam should be all but invisible.

I generally break large complicated models in to smaller component pieces, since this provides more control of positioning and support contact points.

You may not think the FDM print looks good - but that isn’t the point. There is detail in evident in that print that I loose if I further reduce the model’s complexity.

I really don’t want to have to print it two parts for a number of reasons. A major one is the time the wiper blade runs / pauses will be doubled which easily takes what 50% of the print time? Another reason is for workflow - I am looking to offer this as a service - if each model has to be broken up and alignment pins added, it poses a whole other level of complexity that I would like to avoid.

If I was printing a small figurine I would think that it might have too many faces, but given I am trying to print practically the full volume of the printer, 271k faces just doesn’t seem like it should be too complex to print.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.